Criss Cross Ribbons

Decorating By TMoe Updated 5 Jul 2011 , 11:40am by Chellescakes

TMoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TMoe Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 3:20am
post #1 of 10

Hello,

Can someone please explain how to attach the ribbons so that they look like the picture attached. I did see an old thread on this but it did not explain how this would be done.

Also I have a bride who has requested their initials in fondant on this cake. Any suggestions as to how this would look best and where?

Thanks!

9 replies
TMoe Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 3:26am
post #2 of 10

Here is the link. Its the blue cake with the orange flower near the bottom of the link. Sorry can't get the photo to attach properly.

http://idovancouver.blogspot.com/2007_06_01_archive.html

MelaMang75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelaMang75 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 4:13am
post #3 of 10

Love the cake! I've been wondering too how these are done, the bands that is. As for the initials, they're wanting the imprinted in the fondant?

pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 4:37am
post #4 of 10

i've done a techinique like this. there is a pic in my photos. i cut the ribbons with a ruler, then laid them out on a sheet pan, and put in the freezer. let them get firm but not super frozen. brush back lightly with water, then place on the cake when stiff. it helps get a straight line when it's kinda frozen. it'll soften up as it warms up so you'll be able to put it on the cake straight, and curve it around your cake. good luck icon_smile.gif

pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 4:41am
post #5 of 10

you can also use buttercream to stick it, but be careful how much you use because it can ooze out the edges. you can use "glue" (i use a tylose powder mixed with hot water to make a sticky edible glue) as well.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 11:09am
post #6 of 10

I usually wait until the fondant is dried off a bit . then I wet the ribbon with boiled water squeeze out most of the moisture and then just freehand it. I love doing it it is fun .

TMoe Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 12:15pm
post #7 of 10

Do you find that wetting the ribbon ever makes the colour run?

Chellescakes Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 8:44pm
post #8 of 10

No I always use good quality double faced satin ribbon. I have even used black ribbon and it was fine.

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 11:33am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellescakes

I usually wait until the fondant is dried off a bit . then I wet the ribbon with boiled water squeeze out most of the moisture and then just freehand it. I love doing it it is fun .

Wont the ribbon be crumpled up, once you squeeze it ?

Chellescakes Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 11:40am
post #10 of 10

nope run it through your fingers in a straight line don't crumple it.

I usually use my thumb and forefinger,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%