Baby Shower/birthday Cake!

Decorating By Kaykaymay Updated 7 Jul 2011 , 5:29pm by ConfectionsCC

Kaykaymay Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 2:30am
post #1 of 9

Hi all, I have a request from a friend who want's me to do her baby shower cake. She told me she would like something special like a two tier cake. I knew her jaw would hit the floor if I told her what it would cost to make one so I asked her instead, how much she was willing to spend. Her answer was - $40-$50 (all of which will be spent on ingredients)(I am a hobby baker) I told her I would see what I can come up with and get back to her.

So I was thinking I can't do a two tier cake but I may be able to do something cute like a baby bag with gumpaste baby stuff coming out (I really want to try one of those anyway) but before I can tell her my idea, she comes back with "well my daughter's birthday is on that same day so we're doing a birthday party/ baby shower all in one and I was gonna buy a cake but I don't really want to spend any more money on cake so can you just put "happy birthday" in a corner on the one you're doing for me instead? *GROAN* NO! that just seems like something I would see on Cake Wrecks!

But I wanna rise to the challenge and make something work so I was thinking do you think I should do the baby bag plus a few cupcakes for the B/day girl or the baby bag and a very simple small cake like a 4" round just for her to blow out and stick? or can you think of something better? Please help any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

8 replies
vgray Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 3:02am
post #2 of 9

I think the baby bag and some cupcakes or the 4" round would be a good idea. If you don't mind doing extra work for the amount of money she is paying. I always have enough batter left over to make some cupcakes and use icing from the freezer that was left over from other cakes to put on top. Usually those cupcakes stay home lol but I think it would be okay since you want to have something separate for the b-day girl and the baby shower.

imagenthatnj Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 9

How old is the daughter having the birthday? You could also do a combination cake with a rattle on top and matching flowers/butterflies or whatever else you want on the bottom, near the board with a little banner that says Happy Birthday.

Something like this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cakesbymay/3998930197/

Cakeuhlicious Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 9

Argh I think mixing your baby shower and your kids birthday is so tacky. A distant friend of mine did that recently and I found it incredibly annoying, but I'm one of those people who own their birthday. LOL Maybe I'm just biased.

I personally would put the emphasis on the birthday cake and have the baby shower cake follow the theme. I think a childs birthday is far more important than an adult's baby shower. You could do the top tier for the birthday girl and make it a theme or color palette she likes with a lot of "umph!", a big numbered candle or fondant decoration, etc. and then make the bottom tier for the baby shower in the same color palette. You could write "Happy Birthday XXXX" around the top tier and then around the bottom tier do "...and welcome baby XXXX".

Or, you could do a gift box tiered cake and make the top tier a bday package with a tag thats says "To: [birthday girl]: Happy Birthday" and the bottom tier a package that says "To [your friends name]: Congratulations!".

At the rate your friend is going you should just do a sheet cake that says "out with the old, in with the new". LOL

Kaykaymay Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 2:34am
post #5 of 9

I like those ideas! maybe the gift package like her birthday gift is a brand new baby. So the tag could say happy birthday ........ and then some sort of "spoiler" saying baby inside.

Olivia02 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 3:17am
post #6 of 9

How about, if you still want to do a gift bag cake, do the "front" of the bag decorated for the babyshower and the "back" side for the birthday girl. Just a thought. she doesnt give u much with that price range.

Marla84 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 3:23am
post #7 of 9

I think the gift package idea is really cute and ties both together...but maybe stay away from the "baby inside" type message. I like what Cakeuhlicious said - Happy Birthday ____ ...and welcome baby _____

Kaykaymay Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marla84

...but maybe stay away from the "baby inside" type message. I like what Cakeuhlicious said - Happy Birthday ____ ...and welcome baby _____

LOL.. Yeah i think so too! Kinda creepy.

ConfectionsCC Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 5:29pm
post #9 of 9

aww thats so mean of this mom icon_sad.gif let the sibling rivalry begin! This girl's birthday is already less important than a shower!?!?!? If she insists on doing just one cake, maybe do a gift box cake with a bow, and give it a tag that says "Happy Birthday xxxxx, and Welcome Baby!" I would hate for her daughter to feel left out or like an after thought icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%