?s About Using Dark Chocolate

Baking By Elaine2581 Updated 4 Jul 2011 , 7:26pm by Elaine2581

Elaine2581 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 12:56am
post #1 of 4

I very nice friend brought me an 11 pound bag of dark chocolate; small disks. I enjoy baking but mostly use semi-sweet or milk chocolate.
1. Can I freeze most of this? If so, will a zip-lock freezer bag be sufficient?
2. Can I add more granulated or powdered sugar and substitute the dark for semi-sweet or milk chocolate? If so, suggested amounts would be helpful.
I really appreciate any help you experienced bakers are willing to share.

3 replies
sugarandstuff Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 1:30am
post #2 of 4

You can freeze it in a zip-lock freezer bag. Dark chocolate is actually really great when used to make chocolate butter cream - when you add it to all that powdered sugar, it balances out the sweetness really well.

scp1127 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 1:38am
post #3 of 4

Here's what I know about chocolate:

Wrap it well and store it in a cool, dry place. It keeps approx. a year, manufacturers suggestions.

You can add corn syrup to your ganache to bring up the sweetness.

Add it to your semi-sweet, maybe sub 25%, and it will not change the flavor much.

Changing the sugar in recipes usually throws off the balance, so don't do that.

I've found that most people prefer dark chocolate, so use it when you take baked goods to personal gatherings.

Sub it in some of your recipes and ask for a review by friends. You may find they like it better.

If you will post what you like to bake, I can give more suggestions. Such as, chocolate chip cookies are great with two types of "big chunk" chocolates.

I'm not a chocolate lover and I own a bakery, so post your baked goods list and I will give more information.

Elaine2581 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the tips. I'll try just adding some dark in place of some and ask for reviews. My 15 yr. old son will be all too happy to sample and say what he thinks. One of our new found favorite recipes is a baked chocolate custard. The recipe calls for milk chocolate in the custard and then semi-sweet in the ganache on top. I do also make chocolate chip cookies and a frosting for a plain vanilla cake and ganache under fondant. Thanks again to those who responded and Happy 4th of July!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%