Hershey's Chocolate Cake Recipe?

Baking By CakinKimi Updated 4 Jul 2011 , 1:33am by CakinKimi

CakinKimi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakinKimi Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 6

So I just tried Hershey's Chocolate Cake recipe for the first time and I followed the recipe perfectly (as far as I know anyway. LOL) and when I checked it at 30 min, one cake was barely cooked, and the other cake was almost done. Both were 8" rounds. Same exact pans actually. So I left both in for another 5 minutes like the recipe says too and when I took them out after that they seemed cooked so I left them on the stove to cool for a few minutes before flipping them to a cooling rack. Well when I went to check on them again to flip them one had a huge...valley...in it (if that makes sense) but the other one didn't, it was still fairly level, like it was when it cake out of the oven.

So basically my questions are:
1)Why would one cake be almost cooked and the other barely cooked?

2)Why did one cake sink and the other not?

Thanks everyone!

5 replies
Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 6

That is my go-to recipe for chocolate cake, love it. I'm not an expert but my guess as to why one baked completely and the other didn't is because your oven is heating unevenly. I would have removed the one that looked done and left the other until it was completely done. It fell in the middle because it wasn't cooked all the way.

CakinKimi Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 12:21am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnell

That is my go-to recipe for chocolate cake, love it. I'm not an expert but my guess as to why one baked completely and the other didn't is because your oven is heating unevenly. I would have removed the one that looked done and left the other until it was completely done. It fell in the middle because it wasn't cooked all the way.

That's what I thought too, until I realized that it wasn't the cake that I originally thought wasn't done all the way that fell, it was the one that I thought was 100% done that fell....

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 12:53am
post #4 of 6

I just recently used this recipe on a 12x18 and an 11x14 and a 9x13 ( had a big order) lol anyway I had to go by instinct in the sizes for cooking and made sure that I used rose nails in the center and they seem to be perfect, no caving and pretty even too, love that recipe and I used it to stack for a ship cake I did pretty solid cake loved it, any way my thought was that your oven was cooking unevenly too, another thought was how are you placing them in the oven are they pretty evenly distrubited in there? Not sure what else it could have been.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 1:10am
post #5 of 6

I checked the Hersey site to see what their trouble shooting tips had to say.

If a homemade cake fell (the center of the cake sinks), the following problems may have occurred:

The cake was under-baked - the oven temperature was too low and/or the baking time was too short.
The liquid was over or under measured.
The pan was too small - the batter was too deep.
The cake was moved or jarred before it
was sufficiently baked.
Old or expired baking powder was used.
A wooden pick or cake tester was inserted into the cake before it was sufficiently set.

It sounds like you might be dealing with number three or four.

CakinKimi Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 1:33am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

I checked the Hersey site to see what their trouble shooting tips had to say.

If a homemade cake fell (the center of the cake sinks), the following problems may have occurred:

The cake was under-baked - the oven temperature was too low and/or the baking time was too short.
The liquid was over or under measured.
The pan was too small - the batter was too deep.
The cake was moved or jarred before it
was sufficiently baked.
Old or expired baking powder was used.
A wooden pick or cake tester was inserted into the cake before it was sufficiently set.

It sounds like you might be dealing with number three or four.

Oh wow, I didn't know most of those things, Thanks!!

Now I'm thinking it might be because I over-filled the pans (they overflowed but only on one side?)

They were moved before they were baked all the way.

And I tested them (with a knife) before they were sufficiently set.

Guess I'm just going to use these cakes for cake pops and try again tomorrow. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%