Eek!!! I Need It To Dry Quick!!

Decorating By Cakeuhlicious Updated 5 Jul 2011 , 3:42pm by Cakeuhlicious

Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 8

Hi!! I am in need of some help. My best friend texted me this morning and needs a cake for tomorrow for her boss. I decided to make some flowers out of fondant to go around the cake but they dont seem to be setting up very quickly. This is only my second attempt at flowers. Is there a way to expedite the drying process?

7 replies
JillyPlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillyPlot Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 8

I'm not totally sure, as I'm fairly new to this as well, but from what I've read in other posts, make a 50/50 mix of fondant and gum paste or add tylose powder to your fondant to make it dry quicker.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 8

Try putting them in the oven with just the oven light on. DO NOT TURN THE OVEN ON!!!

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 8

Or you can make sugar flowers out of buttercream? Just a thought..

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 8

If it is hot and humid where you live that is why they don't seem to be setting up. As was said, give it time in an oven warmed by the heat of the light inside. I bet by now they are doing better and you're not so worriedicon_smile.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 12:04am
post #6 of 8

I dry stuff in the oven on the top rack next to the light. You can also put them in front of a fan.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 12:07am
post #7 of 8

Had the same problem this week-end...cake due Sat...made fondant characters on Fri...put them overnight into the oven with light on in the oven...they were not perfectly dry, but almost...enough to be able to put them on my buttercream cake...BTW...you could make candy clay...it would be fast to work with this late in the game.

Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all the helpful hints! They did dry in time but yeesh is fondant super delicate! I had a much easier time with my gumpaste flowers than my fondant ones. Luckily they were easily repaired. Thanks for all the help! You guys rock! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%