Anniversary And Wedding Cake Transportation

Decorating By 5aud1s Updated 3 Jul 2011 , 10:56pm by leah_s

5aud1s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
5aud1s Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 3

I will be making 2 cakes in the next month and both will need to be transported a good distance. I am looking for any feed back on the best way to make and transport the cakes that will be covered in fondant. I will need to make them ahead of time so is best to freeze cakes before putting on the fondant? And should I refridgerate the cake after covering it in fondant? I have had a problem in the past where it looks like the filling is starting to push out even with the dam. Thanks for any help you can give.

2 replies
sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 3

You can make your cakes ahead of time, freeze and defrost the day you will crumb coat them. As for the dam, make sure you use a thicker buttercream (add more powdered sugar) and either pipe it around for the dam or roll it into a rope, put your filling in, crumb coat and then some people put it in a food safe bag and put something heavy ( a tile, a phone book, etc) on top of the cake so it compacts everything - then put it in the fridge for a while. You can refridgerate the cakes after you put on the fondant if you have to (if your fillings need to be) otherwise, I leave it at room temp to avoid it adding to dryness. As far as traveling w/ the cakes, as long as each tier is properly supported doweled and you use a long center dowel, it will be fine. I always use that non-slip stuff so it doesn't shift in the box/car.
How big of a cake are you making? There are some great videos on youtube on some of this basic stuff you may want to check out - very helpful.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 3

1. Use SPS for support and you shouldn't have any problems.
2. while your cake is settling, it shouldn't go in the fridge, unless is has to because of perishable fillings. But since you're traveling a long distance with the cake, you can't use perishable fillings anyway, right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%