Lorann Flavouring Oils In Buttercream?

Decorating By stephkelsey Updated 6 Jul 2011 , 11:57am by nanefy

stephkelsey Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 22

Hi!

Not entirely sure this is the right place to post this but it's a question about buttercream flavouring so it seemed as good a place as any!

I'm from the UK and have been struggling to find good flavourings for my buttercream recipes. I've just discovered a website selling LorAnn oils, and am so excited by some of the flavours that I'm literally about to buy them all! I was just wondering if anyone had used them, and if they taste particularly artificial? I know they are artificial flavourings and probably wouldn't taste as good as if I used, for example, real Amaretto, in my buttercream, but I can't always afford to buy the real product being a poor student!

Thanks icon_smile.gif

21 replies
quietude Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 22

I've enjoyed all of the flavors that I have tried so far. They give a lot of flavor versatility at a very reasonable price.

sweettreat101 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 5:24am
post #3 of 22

I use them. My favorites are Pina Colada, coconut, banana cream, cherry and strawberry. When I make a tropical flavor cake I like to add a couple of drops to my butter cream. Be careful as they are really strong. I use cherry and strawberry in my fondant.

spicynsweet Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 5:49am
post #4 of 22

I love them. I have tried about 4 of them and I have to keep from buying all of them myself. They work wonderful in buttercream. Can be strong if you use too much

platinumlady Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 8:19am
post #5 of 22

I use them in my buttercream & fondant. Once I used a little in a cake recipe. I love them. Especially in my Cream Cheese Icing. I love the fact that you don't need a lot to get great flavor

Akmrn Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 10:00pm
post #6 of 22

Just tried the peanut butter flavor for hubby's Fathers day cake and it was awesome!

nanefy Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 22

I have used the oils and while they flavour things OK, I didn't buy them again, I wasn't hugely impressed and a few of them taste quite chemically. If you want to flavour buttercream with some really concentrated flavours, you have to buy compound flavours. I buy mines from a company called TC Fine Foods and they are about £20 for 1kg, but you don't need a lot. I love compound flavours and wouldn't use anything else. I make an AWESOME pina colada flavour buttercream using a pineapple compound and coconut syrup!

tavyheather Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 11:50pm
post #8 of 22

I use them to supplement the extract in my IMBC. I was using a couple tB raspberry extract and a drop or two of the oil, and kept getting a mettalic taste. I assumed it was the oil b/c it's artificial. Turns out, (after only using the extract in a recipe) that the raspberry extract caused the metallic taste! yuck! anyway I love Lorann oils, but as PP state, a little goes a long way!

Coral3 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:09am
post #9 of 22

Anyone used LorAnn flavourings for macaroons?

nanefy Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:27am
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

I use them to supplement the extract in my IMBC. I was using a couple tB raspberry extract and a drop or two of the oil, and kept getting a mettalic taste. I assumed it was the oil b/c it's artificial. Turns out, (after only using the extract in a recipe) that the raspberry extract caused the metallic taste! yuck! anyway I love Lorann oils, but as PP state, a little goes a long way!

The chemically taste that I got wasn't because of other extracts in my case - I used the oils alone and some were good and some were bad. I've got a load left in my pantry and I know I wont ever use them lol. The good thing about most compound flavours is that they are not artificial - some do contain artificial ingredients, but on the whole they are 'real'. I also love the fact that they have real fruit pieces in them. I cant get enough of compound flavours!

Coral3 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:29am
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanefy

Quote:

The chemically taste that I got wasn't because of other extracts in my case - I used the oils alone and some were good and some were bad. I've got a load left in my pantry and I know I wont ever use them lol. The good thing about most compound flavours is that they are not artificial - some do contain artificial ingredients, but on the whole they are 'real'. I also love the fact that they have real fruit pieces in them. I cant get enough of compound flavours!

Where do you get your compound flavours from?

nanefy Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:38am
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

I get them from a few places:

Town & Country Fine Foods
Vantage House
HB Ingredients
Keyline

I'm sure there are other places that sell them, but those are the ones I use. I seriously cannot sing their praises enough. I don't like many essences and some of the extracts are just OK, but I also like my buttercreams, ganaches etc to actually taste of the flavour I'm using so if it's Strawberry, I want to be able to know straight away it's Strawberry and not just a hint of berry taste. Compound flavours deliver that punch of flavour without it tasting fake. The consistency is like thick jam.

Some brands are Sucrea, Dreidoppel, Kessko and Fruibel - I know there are others, but that's what I remember off the top of my head.

tavyheather Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:42am
post #13 of 22
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

I get them from a few places:

Town & Country Fine Foods
Vantage House
HB Ingredients
Keyline

I'm sure there are other places that sell them, but those are the ones I use. I seriously cannot sing their praises enough. I don't like many essences and some of the extracts are just OK, but I also like my buttercreams, ganaches etc to actually taste of the flavour I'm using so if it's Strawberry, I want to be able to know straight away it's Strawberry and not just a hint of berry taste. Compound flavours deliver that punch of flavour without it tasting fake. The consistency is like thick jam.

Some brands are Sucrea, Dreidoppel, Kessko and Fruibel - I know there are others, but that's what I remember off the top of my head.

OMG WHAT are u talking about...off to research!!! wahoo so excited when I learn something like this...

tavyheather Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:44am
post #14 of 22

ok, calm down self icon_smile.gif I've heard of these but thought they were called something else. Been wanting to try them for FOREVER but never got around to buying them. What flavors do you like?

nanefy Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:53am
post #15 of 22

Pineapple is my favourite and so is the strawberry. The pistachio and almond is good if you like marzipan lol. It's just a case of trying them out and seeing what you like. I recommend you try them, you won't be disappointed!

nanefy Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:36pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:

ummm ok SERIOUSLY embarrassed...wrong thread!

lol I've done that before. However I have to say, I'm glad you posted in the wrong place, or I'd have never seen the link you just posted. Those cake push pops are awesome!!! thanks icon_smile.gif

tavyheather Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 4:28am
post #19 of 22
Quote:

Quote:

ummm ok SERIOUSLY embarrassed...wrong thread!

lol I've done that before. However I have to say, I'm glad you posted in the wrong place, or I'd have never seen the link you just posted. Those cake push pops are awesome!!! thanks icon_smile.gif

lol I know, right?! icon_smile.gif

MelissaMay Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 5:19am
post #20 of 22

OK.....so I fell in love with thos e cake shooters!!! Where on earth would I find the plastic containers for those? Also ON the topic, I do love Lorann oils as well as the baker emulsions they are perfect for flavoring my BC

joycesdaughter111 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 6:38am
post #21 of 22

Ok, you guys have me all excited about these compound flavors. I think some of the Lor Ann oils are good and some are not. The cherry seemed to have a very chemical taste to me.

The compound flavors I found online were in 10 pound containers with a shelf life of 6 to 10 months.
Anyone know if you can purchase them in smaller amounts anywhere?

nanefy Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 11:57am
post #22 of 22

Amoretti do compounds - I don't live in the states so I don't know where to buy them from, but I've read that they are good. Here in the UK, the suppliers I have do 1kg tubs and they last 1 year.

From what I'm reading Amoretti do a sampler box, so it may be best to contact them direct and see what they can offer you, they should also be able to tell you who supplies their products in more manageable sizes.

OK Here are some links I've found that do better sizes:

http://www.auiswisscatalogue.com/2-COMP/Fruit+Compounds.html
http://primarque.com/catalog/oils/hero.html
http://www.naturesflavors.com/default.php?cPath=207
http://divinespecialties.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=237_57_38

Because I don't live in the States I don't know what else is available. Basically most patisserie suppliers will stop them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%