Painting On Fondant

Decorating By bakerliz Updated 5 Jul 2011 , 7:26pm by Moovaughan

bakerliz Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 14

I've never painted on fondant before and I've gotten a request to do a leopard print cake. I'd really like to finish the cake about 48 hours before it will be delivered. I will cover the cake in MMF. After I paint it, can I put it in the fridge? Will the colors bleed as it comes back to room temp? Any advice would be helpful!

13 replies
Ybird Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 14

Hi, this mite not be any help, but i painted my first cake last week, i found a sponge was really good to put the colours on because it didnt leave any lines. also i found i didnt need to put it in the fridge i left it in a cool place on the side over night to dry then finished painting my animals the next day. its the 1st pic in my album with the sunset and elephants

mena2002 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 14

I've put cakes that I painted on in the fridge without any issues before.

bakerliz Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 14

What kind of sponge do you use to get that streaky effect on the background of a cake?

Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 14

if you live in a humid area the condensation may cause the colors to bead and/or run. if you need to refrigerate you can prevent this by wrapping the cake box in plastic before putting it in the fridge, then leaving it wrapped until it comes to room temp. the condensation will form on the plastic and your cake will be fine. if you are in a dry climate it isn't a problem.

TexasSugar Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 14

I wouldn't do it. But then again I avoid putting any cakes in the fridge because of humidity and the whole condensation issue.

jessicakes63 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 14

I'm a newbie here and still learning....but I thought you couldn't put fondant covered cakes in the frige at all?? I thought they'd get sticky. If the veteran cake decorators are doing it I might give it a try.

carmijok Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 14

The nice thing about the condensation issue is, that if you leave it alone and don't touch anything, it may be sticky but it will dry. And even if it doesn't what's wrong with shiny? People steam their cakes all the time to get that look! icon_biggrin.gif

bakerliz Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 3:02pm
post #9 of 14

I know a lot of people don't refrigerate their cakes, and I'm starting to lean that way. I often do refrigerate and I'm very careful not to touch them until the condensation has evaporated, I do however think they look a little nicer before they go into the fridge. I just worry about leaving them out for too long. Maybe I can do it a little later and only leave it out for 24 hours.

I've also never painted on a cake...this is a whole new world for me!

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 3:22pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

The nice thing about the condensation issue is, that if you leave it alone and don't touch anything, it may be sticky but it will dry. And even if it doesn't what's wrong with shiny? People steam their cakes all the time to get that look! icon_biggrin.gif

That's true but sometimes if you've used a lot of paint the condensation will make the paint look blurry, which doesn't go away after it dries.

bakerliz Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 3:25pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

That's true but sometimes if you've used a lot of paint the condensation will make the paint look blurry, which doesn't go away after it dries.

That's good to know, these are the things that can really ruin your day if you don't see it coming icon_biggrin.gif

carmijok Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 4:30pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerliz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

That's good to know, these are the things that can really ruin your day if you don't see it coming icon_biggrin.gif

True that! I guess I was lucky...the only cake I've really painted on is a leopard print that I did on buttercream and it didn't get blurry...even after refrigeration over night and out of the fridge for several hours. I'll keep that in mind when and if I do it again.

TexasSugar Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:11pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie_alabama

I'm a newbie here and still learning....but I thought you couldn't put fondant covered cakes in the frige at all?? I thought they'd get sticky. If the veteran cake decorators are doing it I might give it a try.

A lot of it has to do with your climate. Since there are many different climates in the states everyone has different results with different things.

Where I am we have a lot of humidity, which as I said before means a lot of condensation. Right now it is so humid, that my insulated cup on my desk is sweating.

You can always bake a small cake that isn't needed for a important event and put it in the fridge to see how it works for you. Some suggest putting a fan on it after it comes out of the fridge to help dry it off and I have seen the advice of not touching it until it is completely dry again.

Moovaughan Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:26pm
post #14 of 14

I painted the bass fish, see attached. Put it in it's cardboard box and refigerated it.... let it come to room temperature without touching it and it turned out just fine.... when in doubt do a sample!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%