Buttercream Icing

Baking By Manky Updated 3 Jul 2011 , 7:43pm by Mme_K

Manky Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 10:36am
post #1 of 6

hello, I need help on perfecting my buttercream icing? I was doing good but recently it hasn't been the same. I need help!!!!!

5 replies
batterupcakery Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 10:58am
post #2 of 6

Icing has bad days for some reason. lol!........Here is the best recipe I've found & smooths down to perfection with Viva paper towels.

1 1/2 cups shortening
5 tbls. heavy whipping cream
4 tbls. half & half
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla flavor
1 tsp. butter flavor
1 (2 LB.) bag powdered sugar

Beat your shortening until creamy. Mix the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl & then pour into shortening. (THROW A TOWEL OVER YOUR MIXER & START OUT AT LOW SPEED THEN GRADUALLY INCREASE SPEED UNTIL MIXTURE IS CREAMY) Add entire bag of powdered sugar, again put a towel over mixture & start mixing slow then increase speed until it's thoroughly mixed.......If you do not have a stand mixer, just add each ingredient a little at a time instead of all at once.

Pearl645 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 6

I use wilton's BC recipe. I have heard Indydebi's BC recipe is amazing but haven't tried it yet as I don't have access to Crisco. Just regular vegetable shortening and not sure if they are the same.

Do a recipe search for most saved recipes and you will find Indydebi's buttercream recipe high up on the list. Apparently it's that good! The reviews sell themselves. Have fun!

batterupcakery Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 6

For some reason, Wilton's recipe doesn't do well with off brand shortening & butter. I have tried Indydebi's BC recipe & didn't like it as well as I do the one I gave you. That recipe also does well with off brand shortening. You don't have to use Criso, most of the time I use an off brand all vegetable shortening. For an off brand, decrease the amount of half & half to 3 tbls. I don't know why but with the off brands, the batch turns out better if I cut back on it. Good luck!

kakeladi Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 6

Heat and humidity cause lots of problems. That probably is why your having trouble.
Also check out SugarShack's (aka: Sharon Zambito) 'The art of b'cream' (or is it - "Perfecting Buttercream Icing"?) video on YouTube. Lots of helpful tips and the recipe for anyone needing help.

Mme_K Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 6

Try Indydebi's recipe:

It tastes great and does really well in the heat & humidity. Check out this forum from other people about her icing:

I've had cupcakes sitting outside for hours in the heat and they held their shape beautifully! Everyone loved the flavor. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%