New Member With A Few Problems

Decorating By evans000 Updated 4 Jul 2011 , 6:11pm by evans000

evans000 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 7:37am
post #1 of 7

Hello everybody, my name is Helen and this is my first time on this forum.

I would like to become a cake decorator and maybe in time have my own business. I am currently on an adult learning course which lasts 10 weeks, the next course starts in september again only another 10 weeks and i will gain a qualification but in my area where i live there are no other courses so i am going to have to learn the majority from the internet.

On my course we are learning the basics i.e covering a cake in fondant, piping with different nozzles, roses, a crib and a few other bits (the advanced course i'm not sure what we will be doing).

One of my questions is when i cut the cake in half and fill with jam & BC whn i place the fondant on and smooth the fondant has a kind of buldge around the middle, would you let the BC set overnight so the weight of the fondant doesnt squash teh cake down?

How long in advance would you make the cake to give it time to settle, i am doing a chocolate sponge with a chocolate granach filling?

Also when i baked a plain sponge i used a 3" high windsor tin i hired from a cake shop and at the top of the cake it shrunk inover a little so to level the sides i had to cut off nearly an inch turning my 8" cake to only a 7". What am i doing wrong?

I have so so many questions and really hope i can get some advice. I hope this post isnt too long and boring apologies in advance.

Helen xxx

6 replies
Caths_Cakes Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 8:07am
post #2 of 7

Hi helen icon_smile.gif Welcome to CC! im just up the road from you in sunny (Well, some of the time lol) sunderland!

Good luck with your course, Nothing better than learning and teaching your self new skills!

Regarding your questions, i can only answer from my own experience and opinion, although i still stand by that its best for you to try and experiment and find out what works best for you

Are you crumb coating your cakes before you put the fondant on too?
When i fill a cake with a jam and buttercream, i like to make sure my buttercream is quite thick and i fill it right to the very edge of the cake, after putting on the top piece of cake, i sort of, squish it down a little it just with my hand, make sure its level, then go ahead and do a crumbcoat, i let that set up first for maybe 20 minutes, then i put my fondant on. i think the best way to get a smooth fondant, is to make sure your cake underneath is smooth before you start, there is only so much fondant can hide icon_smile.gif

I have a cake due for a sunday, i bake my cakes on thursday, Freeze them that night. i make all my buttercreams/ganaches on the friday, then torte/fill/crumbcoat my cakes, and leave them to settle over night, before i cover with fondant and decorate on the saturday ready for the sunday.

And im not entirely sure on the cake shrinking question , as ive never encountered that problem, but i think it could be down to your recipe, perhaps experimenting with some new ones? its such a shame to loose lots of cake like that icon_sad.gif

Feel free to pm me if you need help with anything else!

evans000 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 8:20am
post #3 of 7

Hi Cath thanks so much for replying my friend is from sunderland, its lovely today here in M'bro, were taking the kids to whitby today i think.

Now i wasnt putting my filling right to the edges maybe it was that and its getting a pocket of air in.

Yes i do cover my cake in BC before i put the fondant on and i'll make sure i squash it down.

Can i ask why you freeze your cake? when do you defrost it?

What is PM is that some sort ofpersonal message sorry cath i really havent a clue never been on one of these sites. Do you know how i add a photo to the top left of my messages so its on everytime i post, ive uploaded some photo's but they're in albums xxx

soledad Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 12:01pm
post #4 of 7

Hello Cath...welcome to CC!!! You are at the right place, just ask away, there is always someone able to help. Sometimes it takes a little time but someone will answer or direct you to the right place.
I am sending you some links, check them out whenever you have the time. icon_smile.gif

I hope these will be of some help

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

Ellie1985 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 7

Welcome Helen, we've come to the right place. I started caking decorating less then 2 years ago and I have learned so much from all the wonderful people on Cake Central. To answer a few of your questions. Yes, PM is private message. The photo in the left corner, called of avatar, is not working right now. CC will hopefully have it fixed soon. One other thing, when you fill your cake with jam you need to pipe of damn of butter cream around the edge of your cake and put the jam in the middle so the jam does not leak out. When you have your cake filled press down on the top (I put a cake board on top and press down) and then crumb coat it. Let it over night. Some people put a little weight on top. The next day you scrape off any butter cream that has bulged out overnight. That will hopefully give you a nice straight side. Hope this helps. There is always someone here that is willing to answer questions. Have fun!!!

Caths_Cakes Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 7

I like to freeze my keeps as it helps to keep them moist icon_smile.gif after baking, i allow them to cool till there just slightly warm, wrap in clingfilm, then put in the freezer icon_smile.gif then the next day when i come to fill my cakes, i take them out about half an hour before hand, let them warm up a little with the clingfilm still on, then i fill/cover with buttercrream etc whilst there still mostly frozen on the inside icon_smile.gif

I dont have the Steadiest of hands, i find if my cakes frozen, its much easier for me to work with than if its not otherwise i just destroy my cake lol!

evans000 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 7

thanks so much guys i really appreciate it x

Quote by @%username% on %date%