Rkt Need Help Please!!!!

Decorating By nicunurse Updated 3 Jul 2011 , 1:14am by nicunurse

nicunurse Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 12:33am
post #1 of 8

I am trying to make an RKT elephant for the top of a baby shower cake. the elephant his sitting with all four legs kinda flopped in front of him. I already shaped the whole elephant and the body is all one piece (legs were mushed into body to connect it into one) and the head is one piece. I tried the whole buttercream trick and iced the figure with a thin coat of sugarshacks BC i left the fondant rolled thick and but when i covered it it showed EVERY BUMP! icon_cry.gif I am also having trouble getting the leg shape to show through so my elephant doesnt look like a blob!!!! please please helpppp!!!!!

7 replies
Moovaughan Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 1:00am
post #2 of 8

I'm about to do an elephant out of RCT and I'm gonna cover in chocolate ganache, I think that once it hardens a bit i can go over it with warm hands and kinda smooth the chocolate into the cracks to make a more smooth surface. Wish me luck!

Norasmom Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 1:02am
post #3 of 8

Not sure about how to eliminate the bumpiness of the RKT, but maybe you can make the entire elephant out of fondant, as you know how to form the elephant. Sounds like it will be a cute cake.

StacyN Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 1:07am
post #4 of 8

I remember reading somewhere that if you crush the rice krispies before you add them in the marshmallow then it wont be as bumpy.

artscallion Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 1:09am
post #5 of 8

I use a micro planer...the long thin kind you grate nutmeg or lemon rind with. I just use it like you'd use a file and go over the RKT figure to get a nice smooth finish. Whatever it shaves off becomes a kind of paste that can be smoothed over the surface to fill in any remaining gaps. It'll firm back up to become a smooth solid surface to put either buttercream or fondant over.

nicunurse Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 1:11am
post #6 of 8

Moovaughan,
good luck to you!! icon_biggrin.gif hope it turns out cute!

Norasmom
I thought about doing that, but it has to sit on top of an 8" cake and i didnt want it to be too heavy, plus that would take quite a bit of fondant because its a little large!

nicunurse Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 1:13am
post #7 of 8

thank you for all the suggestions every one icon_smile.gif

StacyN

I also have to make a giraffe so I might try that next batch, but I'm trying to avoid re-doing the elephant icon_smile.gif

nicunurse Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 1:14am
post #8 of 8

thank you for all the suggestions every one icon_smile.gif

StacyN

I also have to make a giraffe so I might try that next batch, but I'm trying to avoid re-doing the elephant icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%