Royal Icing

Baking By soapy_hopie Updated 14 Jul 2011 , 8:41pm by TexasSugar

soapy_hopie Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 7

what is the proper constancy for royal icing? when i make it is either to runny or to thick, when i try to make it thicker i add more icing sugar and it becomes to thick so i add more water and then it becomes to runny.....someone help me please icon_cry.gif

6 replies
pastrygirls Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 7

it depends on what you're doing with it. if you're piping you need to make sure it's kinda like toothpaste. be very careful adding the water. u want to do it a drop or two at a time. are you using a whip or a paddle? a whip adds more air, and a paddle helps smooth things out. if i'm piping with it, then i try not to get tons of air into the icing because it makes it harder to pipe.

kakeladi Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 7

Yes it would help with more information as to what you are using the royal icing for. And as has been said, when you need to thin it down, just use *one drop* at a time. I prefer to thin down using a fork or small, hand wire whip.

soapy_hopie Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 7

my flowers are always falling over.........so i am having a really hard time keeping my flowers formed right and they fall over......either that or i cannot get it out of the bag......i am using the recipe from the wilton class i will dig it out and let you know what is in it thanks for the suggestions

soapy_hopie Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 7

3 TBS meringue powder
4 cups icing sugar
5-6 TBS luke warm water

combine sugar and meringue powder, stir at low speed until blended. add water and mix 7 to 10 minutes at low speed until icing looses sheen

it dose not taste very good either.....but i don't believe royal icing should taste very good but i am not certain.........is there a better recipe out there.......and i mix it in my kitchen aid mixer with the paddle attachment

luckyblueeye Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 7

soapy_hopie's recipe looks like the one from Edna, that's the one I use also. Easy to make, easy to pipe.

TexasSugar Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 8:41pm
post #7 of 7

Royal icing is one of those icings where you have to adjust the water amounts. You can't just dump the same amount in every time and expect the same consistency. It is very much effected by the weather. If it is humid, it will take less water.

Are you mixing your icing the full 7 to 10 mins? I have found 7 mins with a stand mixer works fine, though I usually go ahead and mix it for 10. With a hand mixer you really can't mix it under 10 mins. If your icing isn't mixed long enough it feels very thick, then melts down and won't hold it's shape.

If your icing is too thick to pipe with, as suggested above you really just need to add drops of water to it. Royal icing isn't like butter cream where you add a teaspoon of water to a cup of icing and you get a different consistency. With royal icing, chances are if you add a teaspoon of water to a cup of royal icing you will have royal icing soup. It may then be the perfect consistency for flood work, but won't hold it's shape for nothing for flowers and such.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%