Getting Fondant Decorations Not To Stretch

Decorating By dressageviolist Updated 5 Jul 2011 , 12:01pm by costumeczar

dressageviolist Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 9

I'm going to be making one of the "circle" cakes that are popular on here, and I've had trouble with past cakes having my fondant decorations stretch as I pick them up to put them on the cake. Once I cut my perfect circle, how do I handle it to keep it a perfect circle?

Thanks!

8 replies
Bluehue Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 9

Hi dressageviolet

This is how i did the circles for this cake (and the circles for the explsion)
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1800464-
After cutting my shapes out i let them sit for about 7 minutes on my mat - so as to air dry. That way the edges firm a bit.

Then i slid a large thin blade knife under each circle and placed it on my airing rack and let them sit there for about 3-4 hours.
By that time they were good and firm.

Using sugar glue - (equal parts castor sugar and water bought to the boil - then tipped into a sterilized jar and kept in the fridge for up to 2 weeks) i dab the back of each circle with the sugar glue - place it on the cake and hold it in place for about a minute - voula, its stuck.

Some use chocolate or icing as glue - its just that i prefer the sugar glue - as nothing shows through and you (i) don't get any raised sections from a thick glue....thats just how i like to do it. thumbs_up.gif

Hope this helps

ps - you can cut the shapes out a day/days in advance if you are able - that way you know they will be good and dry.
If i know the shaps are to be eaten - then i don't use 50% fondant and 50% gumpaste - as i don't think that combination tastes very good at all.
Altho the shapes will stay very hard using that method.

Bluehue.

sweettreat101 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 5:48am
post #3 of 9

You can add a little Tylose. I cut my decorations and let them sit a couple of minutes to dry just a little. Then I slide a small cake knife under to lift and place on the cake.

leilei8877 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 12:25pm
post #4 of 9

Roll out fondant......put in freezer for 5 min or so then cut out. Or cut out then put into freezer before picking up. It is much easier to work with and shape holds when it is cold.

costumeczar Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 12:34pm
post #5 of 9

I was going to suggest making them ahead of time and freezing them, too. It's also a time-saver on the day that you decorate if you do it that way. Just cut them out, put them on a piece of plastic wrap on a cookie sheet and store them in the freezer. when you ned them you can just pull them straight out of the freezer and put them on the cake. When they warm up a little they'll stay flexible so that you can bend them around edges if you need to, but they'll be stiff enough to move around without stretching.

kakeladi Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 1:23pm
post #6 of 9

The only thing I want to add to all the others suggestions is you might be rolling your fondant too thin. Try leaving it just a bit thicker and use the above suggestions.

dressageviolist Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:21am
post #7 of 9

Thanks for all the replies! I did my cake that night so I didn't get to see most of them, but it turned out great anyway. I did the overlapping circles "scalloped" kind of look, and since the top of the circle was covered by the above circle, I made sure the part that stretched was the part that got hidden. Next time I will definitely freeze it a bit.

grammy1963 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 3:23am
post #8 of 9

I am going to do a 4 tiered cake 6,8,10,12". The bride wants a 5"bow with streamers that are2 x 8" long. This will be placed at the base of the 8" cake with the streamers hanging down over the 10 and 12. I will need to travel with this cake. I read in a Wilton book to use gum paste and fondant mix and make the bow early so it is hard. Do I do the same with the streamers and place them on at the reception or leave them soft and adhere them with fondant glue at the reception. My fear is that they will stretch or because of their weight will pull out from under the bow. This is a first for me as I am not very familiar working with fondant. The cake is covered with buttercream and the fondant ribbon goes around the bottom and the bow is attached. I could use some advise from all you "pros". Thanks, Grammy1963 PS. How fast does the glue dry? I don't want my bow to fall of either???? icon_cry.gif

costumeczar Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:01pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy1963

I am going to do a 4 tiered cake 6,8,10,12". The bride wants a 5"bow with streamers that are2 x 8" long. This will be placed at the base of the 8" cake with the streamers hanging down over the 10 and 12. I will need to travel with this cake. I read in a Wilton book to use gum paste and fondant mix and make the bow early so it is hard. Do I do the same with the streamers and place them on at the reception or leave them soft and adhere them with fondant glue at the reception. My fear is that they will stretch or because of their weight will pull out from under the bow. This is a first for me as I am not very familiar working with fondant. The cake is covered with buttercream and the fondant ribbon goes around the bottom and the bow is attached. I could use some advise from all you "pros". Thanks, Grammy1963 PS. How fast does the glue dry? I don't want my bow to fall of either???? icon_cry.gif

Personally, I'd make the bow loops and tails ahead of time, then assemble the cake on site, not ahead of time. I do cakes tht size all the time, and I stack the bottom two tiers, then refrigerate everything overnight so that they're cold when I'm travelling with them. I assemble the top two tiers at the reception site, then finish decorating there. Adding some tylose to the fondant will help it set up faster and give it some body so that the fondant doesn't tear.

If you cut the tails of the ribbons out and wrap them in plastic wrap and lay them on a cookie sheet for transport they'll stay flat and soft. You can attach them to the cake at the reception site using some buttercream, and you can make the bow part ahead of time and just put it on top of the tail parts once you put those on the cake. I did the ribbons on this cake that way, I wouldn't travel with a pillared top tier and ribbons hanging off of it! http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2011/07/stencilled-wedding-cake.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%