Need Help With Chocolate Buttercream

Baking By NanaNori Updated 8 Jul 2011 , 6:18pm by NanaNori

NanaNori Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone! New to the site...YES addictive..have mercy! Anyways, I have some Blocks of Bittersweet chocolate...Want to make Chocolate Buttercreame Icing for 8in Round. I know how to make regular vanilla buttercreame, but need Help as to IF I can use the bittersweet chocolate...Can I melt it and put it in the frosting recipie? Thanks for the help...Making a Cake for my Airman Son who is home for a couple weeks.

4 replies
Cargal Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 2:36am
post #2 of 5

I made chocolate buttercream using bittersweet last week. Recipe called for unsweet, but only had bitter here. It was good, but awfully sweet. I'm sure unsweet would have toned that down a bit. Maybe adding more salt would help? I did nuke the chocolate and added it to a buttercream recipe. Welcome home to your son!

grandmomof1 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 3:16am
post #3 of 5

I have used the bittersweet and was pleased with the results, but I also used coffee instead of water too.

scp1127 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 3:55am
post #4 of 5

In IMBC, SMBC, and FBC, melt it, let it come back close to room temp, and add as much as you like to the finished product.

NanaNori Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you everyone...specially for the Welcome home!!! He leaves for Guam in a few weeks. I did melt the Chocolate (old fashioned double broiler method) and it WORKED GREAT... Next time might add more Chocolate tho...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%