Poker Themed Cake

Decorating By Kimmberly1 Updated 9 Jul 2011 , 1:09pm by pinkpiggie78

Kimmberly1 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 12:04pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making a poker themed cake for my sons 18th bday. Does anyone have suggestion or advise from their attempts at a cake like this? I have looked st lots of pictures and the quality varies. Some have Fondant cards and some look real. But it can't really tell if they are real or printed on edible paper and put on Fondant. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Like anything you learned while doing a cake with this theme!

Thank you cake friendsicon_smile.gif

7 replies
Cealy Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 8

I would do a large (16") round cake and make piles of chips to stack on the sides of the cake and top made out of fondant circles of different colours. As for the cards, I would set it up like a real play on a poker game doing everything in miniature so it fits. You could use fondant to cut out the rectangles for the cards or you could buy rice paper sheets at the store and cut them out. Be careful if you use rice paper sheets and decide to put a design on the back or front, they absorb lots of water and go mushy quick.
Do a web search for poker tables so you can see what one looks like before you get started to help plan out your design.
Hope this helps
C

sugarflour2 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 8

I used an edible image on fondant to make the cards on the poker cakes that are in gallery. I hand panted the poker chips on one cake (that took some time to do) and I just used circles on the other one. This is a pretty easy design. For me the most time spend was hand painting all the chips. Good luck with your cake, I'm sure you'll do great!

Kimmberly1 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you guys for the suggestionsicon_smile.gif! Where can I get printable edible card prints? Do I need a special printer.

bakerliz Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 8

I did a poker table cake and made all of the chips and cards out of gumpaste because I found that I could roll it thinner. The thing I found the most difficult was getting the proportions of the cards and chips right for the size of the "table". I used a 12in hex pan, so my chips and cards ended up being very small. I found something the right size to indent a circle on the center of the each poker chip and then decorated them with food markers (easier than painting for me). I also used the food markers to make the backs of the cards. I used the red marker to make a diagonal crosshatch pattern and then the blue to put a tiny dot in each square.

To check your proportions, I would cut pieces of paper and lay them out on the pan the way you want your cake to look (that way you don't end up redoing your gumpaste like I did!)

sarla Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 10:42am
post #6 of 8

Hey who is interested in poker you or your son? well you can go for a round cake for your son. and yo can find great design by making your own website here:

[email protected]
http://www.pokersitecentral.com/.

USA +1-310-209-8241 Ext. 226
Toll Free +1-888-699-7888 Ext. 226

tompam11727 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 11:52am
post #7 of 8

Made one for my brother's 50th bday. Used an octagon 12" pan. Made the cards out of fondant and used tiny cookie cutters that came in the shapes of the suits. Got the design from Loren of The Baking Sheet.[/img]

pinkpiggie78 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 1:09pm
post #8 of 8

I have used a hex pan and patchwork cutters. Not perfect, but I preferred the handmade look to the images...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1865743

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%