Any One Know What Is This For?

Baking By josefina20 Updated 4 Jul 2011 , 12:20am by josefina20

josefina20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josefina20 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 10:06am
post #1 of 17

I got this from a friend, and i been trying to search on the web about them. Is this is use for cake or clay. does any one know where can i find something like these? they are pretty cool, but i do not know if they been used before with clay material. Is safe to use it? My friend found them in a yard sale, so she does not much about them.

thanks

16 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 10:37am
post #2 of 17

it would help greatly if we knew what 'they' were, i dont see any links or pictures lol icon_smile.gif x

josefina20 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 17

i been trying but the picture do not want to attach to the post.

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 17

I know my post =I couldnt get the photos to upload either, I know they wer doing some updates maybe they are still working on them

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 17

To post a photo, upload it to an image host, like photobucket or imageshack, and then paste the [img] code the photo host website generates into your post here.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 17

As a general answer to your question:

1) pretty much any tool that is made for use on clay can be used on fondant/gumpaste.

That general rule, however, comes with a couple of caveats:

2) you must NEVER use one tool for BOTH clay and fondant/gumpaste (or any other food product).

If you don't know the provenance of a given tool (what it was used for before it came to you) you should NOT be using it for any food product.

In my own case, I work with both fondant/gumpaste and cold porcelain and find that the tools I use for the gumpaste are excellent for using with the cold porcelain and vice versa. It's a total PITA to have to keep two sets of tools, but that's the price one pays to ensure the safety of one's friends and family.

So, even without a picture of the tools of which you speak, the simple answer is NO because of the circumstances under which they came to you. Now if you manage to post a photo we can probably tell you whether you should go to the expense of purchasing a new version which you can dedicate to fondant/gumpaste.

josefina20 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 17

this in photobucket web site http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/l546/josy2020/?action=view¤t=IMG_02951.jpg

how can i know if they were used or no? some of them look like new, other my friend told me, her daughter used with play dough

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 11:29pm
post #8 of 17

I'd be looking on the internet for information as to whether those molds can be sterilized. How hot does your dishwasher get? That's quite a haul you have there.

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 5:47am
post #9 of 17

I think if you put a little bleach in with your soap and give them a good washing you should be good. Play dough is non toxic polymer clay is non toxic. The look like nice molds for fondant and gum paste

fairmaiden0101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairmaiden0101 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 6:18am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg10148

I think if you put a little bleach in with your soap and give them a good washing you should be good. Play dough is non toxic polymer clay is non toxic. The look like nice molds for fondant and gum paste

thumbs_up.gif

josefina20 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 7:59am
post #11 of 17

Let me tell you, they are super cool, there is one with just faces, another with just arm and foot. all a lot of flowers, and border, and some of them are vintage. i would like to be able to use them, but if there are not safe, well i guess my son will get a nice 10 pice of play dough mold jajajaj icon_lol.gif

In the case, that they were used for clay, can they still be clean and sanitize for fondand and gumpaste? icon_confused.gif

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 10:03am
post #12 of 17

I highly doubt your molds were used for clay. Even if they were, a good disinfecting/cleaning as previously said, would take care of that.
I've used countless items for molding or imprinting, that were not intended for caking. Some of my best finds have been found in variety shops.

Your molds look like the old sugar/gumpaste molds to me, the baroque mold especially. Is there any small printing on the back of the molds? Look for the wording, Wilton Chicago Pat Pend.

Your letters mold I remember as its the same as one posted by another CC member some time back. The member was trying to find another source for buying, as the site she found it online, had sold theirs.

Take the advice given and give your molds a good disinfecting/cleaning. You've got a great find there, don't let them go to waste.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 3:52pm
post #13 of 17

Speaking of things used for clay, I was in the clay aisle the other day at Michael's looking for a ball tool. I got a set of plastic tools (including the ball) for like $3. BUT, I also found these. How freaking cute are some of these???

http://www.sculpey.com/products/accessories/premo-accessories?page=1

They are kind of expensive-like $6 for a set, but with a 40% off coupon from Michael's it would be inexpensive for all the sets.

warchild Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 4:11pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Speaking of things used for clay, I was in the clay aisle the other day at Michael's looking for a ball tool. I got a set of plastic tools (including the ball) for like $3. BUT, I also found these. How freaking cute are some of these???

http://www.sculpey.com/products/accessories/premo-accessories?page=1

They are kind of expensive-like $6 for a set, but with a 40% off coupon from Michael's it would be inexpensive for all the sets.

I have those cutters also. I've picked up quite a few items in the clay department. Small molds, tools, cutters, etc. The tool sets are great to have, and are usually half the price of what the cake supply shop charges for cake tools. With the bonus of coupons added, you can't go wrong. thumbs_up.gif

Kmm0880 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kmm0880 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 4:23pm
post #15 of 17

I am not sure if all of the molds you have pictured are the same, but I have seen the hand and head mold in the clay section of AC Moore craft store. They are Sculpey Push Molds and sell for about $8.49. I have never posted before, but I knew the answer to this one!! Hope this helps...

warchild Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 5:11pm
post #16 of 17

Ah yes, Kmm0880 is spot on with the face, hand and feet molds! I was mistaken thinking they were all sugar molds, as they look to be bigger in your photo.
Sculpey push molds are fairly small. At least mine are. I have the Moon faces, baby/teddy/toys and a couple others, bugs etc. I bought the molds for caking not clay work. .
One thing I do know about the small push molds. It can be a bit of a PIA trying to remove fondant/gumpaste from them. Some of the area's are very tiny and sticking can be a problem.

Here's a link to Sculpey push molds that Kmm0880 mentions for comparison. Your face, hand and feet mold are on it.

Mystery partially solved!

http://www.fineartstore.com/Catalog/tabid/365/List/1/CategoryID/15244/Level/a/Default.aspx?SortField=unitcost%2Cunitcost

josefina20 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 12:20am
post #17 of 17

is funny but, they all small like vanilla smell icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%