Fondant Help!

Decorating By VT4KDA Updated 2 Jul 2011 , 9:15pm by Narie

VT4KDA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VT4KDA Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 3:15am
post #1 of 6

I'm sure there have been hundreds of posts like this, but I've never done fondant before. I'm planning to use a marshmellow recipe, but I don't have to, if there is a recipe that's better or easier, please let me know. Anyway, how should I roll it out and how do I put it on a cake without any seams? Also, how do I color it? Should I add the color while it's still mixing or after it cools? Is there a special coloring I should get? I have the gel but I feel like that would take a ton to get a pastel pink color. HELP! If there are any tutorial videos that would be helpful please send them my way! Sorry for the list of questions and Thanks for the help!

5 replies
mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 3:40am
post #2 of 6

You can roll it out with cornstarch, icing sugar, or shortening. Some people use a vinyl mat to roll it out on.

I'm not sure what you mean by without any seams, so don't really have an answer for that.

If you just need one color then you can add to the liquids while making the fondant. But if you need several colors then you will have to add to it when you are using. I'm pretty sure any coloring is fine, but with different brands there will be a varying in coloring, shades and the amount it takes to get a certain color. You will have to experiment with that.

There are lots of tutorials on youtube on how to make mmf and different techniques you might find useful. Sometimes seeing it being done helps more then explaining it.

HTH

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT4KDA

I'm sure there have been hundreds of posts like this, but I've never done fondant before. I'm planning to use a marshmellow recipe, but I don't have to, if there is a recipe that's better or easier, please let me know. Anyway, how should I roll it out and how do I put it on a cake without any seams? Also, how do I color it? Should I add the color while it's still mixing or after it cools? Is there a special coloring I should get? I have the gel but I feel like that would take a ton to get a pastel pink color. HELP! If there are any tutorial videos that would be helpful please send them my way! Sorry for the list of questions and Thanks for the help!

To cover in one piece (seamless)...measure the side, then the top, then the other side add an inch and roll the piece that big (heighth and width)

I add color when my marshmallow is melted, takes less color and much easier than kneading in color

I use gel pastes....the hardest of course is red and black, yes that takes alot of color.

YouTube and CakesWeBake both have a library of video tutorials on lots of different cake decorating categories...just go and browse.

sacakesandbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sacakesandbakes Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 6

For red and black use the powder color, can be added while marshmallows are melted. Than after fondant is made you can add more color with gels if needed. Allow to rest over night and the color should deepen. You can make fondant in a stand mixer with the dough hook. Certainly a lot less kneeding.

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 6

You really should check out some of the tutorials on youtube or purchase some of the great instructional dvds that are out there. Reading the tips on here will help you, but a good visual demonstration is much better. Good luck!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 6

Satin Ice has some excellent tutorials on their site. http://www.satinfinefoods.com/how.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%