Quick Question On Mmf

Decorating By rocketmom1985 Updated 2 Jul 2011 , 8:02am by teresamariegross

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 2:01am
post #1 of 8

i did a search but really can't find anything specific on how long mmf must sit or rest before using on a cake.. Some threads say at least an hour some say it must rest overnight. Anyone have experience using it say a couple of hours after making it? I have a cake I am making for the holiday on Monday but can't make the mmf until tomorrow morning and I was hoping to stack and do my butter cream right after, then work on the fondant to cover later in the day.

Any input is appreciated

7 replies
ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 2:39am
post #2 of 8

I always let mine sit overnight, but if you make it in the morning and don't plan on using it until the evening your should be good to go. If you are going to add color to it depending on how much food coloring you have to add you may have to let it sit again for a while. The more color you add the softer it will get. Beware of dark colors.... A hint for the future...you can always make your MMF earlier in the week, wrap it well in plastic wrap, seal it in a ziplock bag, and then I but it in a plastic sealable bucket like the kind that a gallon of tea comes in (or one of those big plastic buckets of ice cream). It will stay soft and pliable until you are ready to use it. I always have a batch of MMF ready to go when I use this method. HTH

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 3:46am
post #3 of 8

It's best to make the day before. I don't know when is the earliest time you can use it, but I'm also curious to find out.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 3:52am
post #4 of 8

I like to let mine rest for at least a day.

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 4:41am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the input. I will drag my tushie outta bed to make it early and let it sit for the day. I will be adding some no taste red to a small portion of one batch and the other batch will be blue for the 4th of July colors. I have read that the darker colors are better looking color-wise if purchased, but I cannot abide the taste what is available in my area, south Texas. This will be the first time in several years I am making a stacked cake and using fondant. I had "retired" from my cake addiction and have taken up sculpting. Should be fun after so long!

sheepmanswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheepmanswife Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 5:33am
post #6 of 8

I am new to fondant. Why does it have to rest? I recently made my first fondant cake for my best friends daughters birthday. I made the fondant and used it right away. I did color it a pale blue. I bought the Wilton primary colors fondant to make the rainbow. Can I get that bright of colors making my own?

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 6:52am
post #7 of 8

sometimes i let it rest overnight, but if i'm in a hurry i make it and use it within the same hour. i haven't noticed too much of a difference except that its softer when you first make it

teresamariegross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teresamariegross Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 8:02am
post #8 of 8

I let mine sit overnight because it allows any powdered sugar particles to be absorbed and not have any bits when you roll it out. I make it ahead sometimes, wrap it in plastic then in foil and store it in the freezer for several months. Works great when it thaws.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%