Ganache + Fondant

Decorating By sweetsirten Updated 2 Jul 2011 , 12:36am by JanetP

sweetsirten Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsirten Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 4

Hi guys! I have really been wanting to try ganache under my fondant because I struggle getting fondant super super smooth - I have heard that ganache makes that easier. I have a few questions though, and I hope they don't come across as silly.

Do I frost with buttercream, as usual, and then pour ganache over the buttercream to cover, then add the fondant? This is the only way I have ever used ganache, as a poured topping.

OR, do I whip the ganache (something I have never done), then fill/frost the cake in that and then cover with fondant?

I am making a cake this weekend for my family, so I have the perfect excuse to try something new! Any help will be greatly appreciated!

3 replies
sweetsirten Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsirten Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 12:07am
post #2 of 4

Well, in my impatience, I found this http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/05/covering-cake-in-ganache.html - everything I think I need to know! icon_biggrin.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 12:23am
post #3 of 4

I use ganache under fondant for all my cakes...let the ganache set to room temperature so it's a spreadable consistency (don't whip it) and just use that (no buttercream) to fill and ice the cake, then let it set up and cover with fondant.

There are good instructions for using ganache under fondant in the book 'Planet Cake' if you're interested...but I'm sure if you search on youtube you would find some free tutorials on how to go about it.

JanetP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetP Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 12:36am
post #4 of 4

Check out this U-tube video. great instruction on how to make and ice cakes with ganache.
InspiredByMichelle or type how to make ganache

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%