I Need Help On To Make A Pillow Cake...

Decorating By frosting111 Updated 1 Jul 2011 , 10:43pm by frosting111

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 7

I am wanting to get the Wilton set of Pillow cake pans to do a wedding cake in August for my daughter, my concern is, how does one stack the cake with out the bottom layered cake spreading out?

I tried stacking a 3-D fondant football cake covered in fondant last year, I did the bottom half first, and then the top half, laid the top onto the bottom cake and it looked perfect, within 15-20 minutes the bottom cake started sprawling out!!...I had to take the cakes apart, pull all the fondant off and ended up covering the cakes in butter cream icing...what did I do wrong and how can I make sure this dont happen to a pillow cake too?

6 replies
thallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thallo Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 7

Try using pound cake - at least for the bottom part of the pillow. A denser cake like the pound cake will not spread like a lighter cake.

Several years ago there was a cake on the front cover of American Cake that was in the shape of a ball, and if memory serves me correctly, that decorator used RCT for the bottom half of the call. I have also seen these done using dummy cake for the bottom half.

I think either one could work. Good luck.

frosting111 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks I wondered about if the bottom cake was a denser cake than the top tier or maybe they both were pound cakes...

thallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thallo Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 7

I personally would do the entire cake in pound cake. That way, it would not be as likely to change shapes. Try the smallest pillow both ways and see what works for you and let us know how it turns out.

frosting111 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 7

I think that's what I may do if I do make her the pillow cake...

Im hoping someone who has done a couple would reply with some more advice tips and tricks to make one before I venture off into buy the pans and doing one..after what happened to my football cake Im kinda scared to do a pillow cake, but would really love to.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 7

I just use the WASC recipe and it was dense enough for the pillow cakes. If you were really worried about it, you could add some pudding mix or jello powder to the WASC recipe and it would definitely be firm enough.

I'd suggest trying at least one of the pans once before the real event...I noticed it was much, much easier to cover the second pillow than the first and I ended up wishing I had practiced.

Oh, and the pan insert has the wrong batter measurements, look on Wilton's website for the correct ones and don't smoke up your house and dirty up your oven like I ended up doing icon_biggrin.gif

frosting111 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I just use the WASC recipe and it was dense enough for the pillow cakes. If you were really worried about it, you could add some pudding mix or jello powder to the WASC recipe and it would definitely be firm enough.

I'd suggest trying at least one of the pans once before the real event...I noticed it was much, much easier to cover the second pillow than the first and I ended up wishing I had practiced.

Oh, and the pan insert has the wrong batter measurements, look on Wilton's website for the correct ones and don't smoke up your house and dirty up your oven like I ended up doing icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you so much, I need all the advice I can get before I try to make one of these style cakes....and thanks for the heads up about the pan insert batter measurements...I knew asking here on Cake Central that I would get helpful and important feedback!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%