Recipe Ideas For My Son, Please????

Baking By Relznik Updated 4 Jul 2011 , 10:37am by Jennifer353

Relznik Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 3

My son came home from school today, with details of a competition:

For our first ever Sports Day, the Department of Health are running a healthy baking competition. The cakes will be sold on Sports Day at break time and lunch time.

You will be assessed on:

* How healthy it is (5 points)
* The cost (5 points - cheaper is better)
* How much time it takes to make it (5 points - quicker is better)
* The cake with the fun funkiest name (5 points)
* How tasty it is (5 points) - this will be decided on the day.

We will supply the ingredients. You need to decide how much to sell your baked goods for, based on how many you produce and how much your ingredients have ost (you will each have your own receipt). You should aim to bake 30-50 items. Your budget is £5 - you might want to ask your parents to help with this!

So.... ideas, please? He's DESPERATE to enter with a fantastic recipe. I suggested this, as it's super healthy, but he doesn't appear keen.

Carrot and Pineapple Muffins

Makes 12 muffins (or approx. 24 if you use fairy-cake cases)
Suitable for freezing

125g/4oz plain flour (or 3½oz plain flour and ½oz wheatgerm)
125g/4oz plain wholemeal flour
1tsp baking powder
¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp ground ginger
½tsp salt
200ml/7fl oz vegetable oil
90g/3¼ oz caster sugar
2 eggs
125g/4oz carrots, finely grated
225g/8oz tinned crushed pineapple, semi-drained
125g/4oz raisins

1. Preheat oven to 180oc/350of/gas mark 4. Sift together the flours, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt and mix well.

2. In another large bowl, beat the oil, sugar and eggs until combined, and then add the carrots, crushed pineapple and raisins.

3. Gradually add the flour mixture, beating just enough to combine all the ingredients

4. Pour into muffin trays lined with paper cases and bake for 25 minutes. These can also be cooked in fairy-cake trays, but reduce the cooking time to around 15 minutes. When they are cooked, (springy/firm to touch and golden brown) cool on a wire rack.

He's desperate to make something along the lines of lemon-meringue, but I keep explaining IT'S NOT HEALTHY! LOL!!

Anyway, any and all suggestions very welcome.

Thank you.

Suzanne x

2 replies
GinnyK Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 3

My husband (diabetic) is also a lemon meringue fan. There is a recipe for lemon meringue pie with a high meringue on the site,and he liked it a lot. I used Eggbeaters instead of the egg yolks in the body of the pie to make it more healthful. I'd reproduce it here but it's a long recipe.
There is also a thread going on sugar-free cakes and icings that includes some good recipes.
Good luck.

Jennifer353 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 10:37am
post #3 of 3

What age is he; I assume he has to do the baking?

To get the most taste points he will probably be a good judge on what other children will vote for (if its the kids who will be voting?). There will be a compromise between getting max taste and max healthyness points I would expect!
Is healthy needing to be low fat/calories or just nutritious? eg nuts are fatty but deemed healthy...

On his lemon theme what about:
Not sure if you could play around with it to make it healthier maybe use oil instead of the butter or honey for the sugar? Ive seen people here use apple sauce in place of oil... might that work? That site has other wholemeal baked things too.

Would having vegetables in it get points to undo the negative points the bad ingredients take away?! (but dont tell your son until he has tasted it the first time!) (probably the healthiest, esp if you use the coconut oil suggestion but not sure if children would like the coffee?)
Not that healthy but you would get plenty of "taste" points! Could you use a bit of wholemeal flour instead?

Blueberry muffins?
The rest of that site claim to be really healthy but some of the recipes have lot of sugar/fat

Quote by @%username% on %date%