Storing Fondant And Gumpaste

Decorating By CakeCrystals Updated 1 Jul 2011 , 11:37pm by CakeCrystals

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 8

I don't know if this was ever done before, but tried it just this week. After decorating a cake for a babyshower, I stored my unused fondant and gumpast in seal-a-meal bags and vacuum sealed them removing the air completely. I even stored the rest of my decorations in this same manner. Has anyone else ever done this?

7 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 8

I've done it in the vacuum sealed bags. It extends the life of it, that is for sure! icon_smile.gif

CakeCrystals Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 8

Instead of just using ziplock bags to store my fondant/gumpaste, I think I will be doing it this way. And instead of wrapping fresh MMF in plastic wrap and putting it in a ziplock, I'm going to wrap it then vacuum seal. icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 8

I would still give the fondant a quick coat of crisco before you put it in the bags.

I have access to a food saver, but don't currently have one at my home. I'm the worlds worst about throwing fondant into a plastic bag, with out properly preparing it for storage. I also find myself throwing around hard rocks of fondant a lot.

CakeCrystals Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 8

Oh! definitely. I'll coat it first, wrap with saran, then vacuum seal the heck out of it. I too have thrown away fondant when I thought that I had properly stored it air tight. After unpacking boxes from my move and discovering my seal-a-meal machine (ding) cake decorating light bulb went off. I will definitely use this method from now on.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks CakeCrystals for a fabulous idea!!!! I can't tell you how many little lumps of old fondant and gum paste mix I too have thrown away. I take all the precautionary steps to keep it but, alas, when I next need it bingo, lumps as hard as bricks. I always think that I will use it and not freeze it and that does not seem to come about in a timely manner. I'm glad there are so many people on this site that are geniuses!!!!
evelyn

CakeCrystals Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 11:35pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegrandma

Thanks CakeCrystals for a fabulous idea!!!! I can't tell you how many little lumps of old fondant and gum paste mix I too have thrown away. I take all the precautionary steps to keep it but, alas, when I next need it bingo, lumps as hard as bricks. I always think that I will use it and not freeze it and that does not seem to come about in a timely manner. I'm glad there are so many people on this site that are geniuses!!!!
evelyn

You are so welcome. I'm glad that this idea will assist someone else in saving their fondant and/or gumpast.

CakeCrystals Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 11:37pm
post #8 of 8

Oops, I forgot the "e" on gumpaste. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%