I Need Help!

Decorating By angelcakes11 Updated 1 Jul 2011 , 10:13pm by cakeyouverymuch

angelcakes11 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 16

I was sent a picture of a cake, it a 2 tier cake the bottom of the cakes has different size scrolls all around it it is all fondant as well I have no clue how I would make these scrolls without a mold and I cant find one please anyone have any other solutions.

15 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 16

Can you post a picture of the cake?

DeniseNH Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 16

Are you good at piping? Without a mold, that's the only way I can think of to accomplish what you're asking.

PrivateNameHere Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 16

I make scrolls out of fondant "snakes". Maybe you could try that? It wouldn't have the sloping thing that molded scrollwork does, that you can only get that with a mold IMO.

angelcakes11 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 16

My scrolls are ok in frosting and fondant but looking at the cake they appear to be done in fondant and yes I would say its defiantly a mold I was hoping for maybe some way of making this scroll if I cant find a similar mold.

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 16

If you can share the picture, someone will probably recognize the mold.

angelcakes11 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 16

I am trying to post the picture, having a bit of a problem being this is my first time posting in the forum, I will keep trying.

JanH Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 16
Originally Posted by angelcakes11

I am trying to post the picture, having a bit of a problem being this is my first time posting in the forum, I will keep trying.

FYI, it's not you icon_smile.gif - the add attachment to post software is currently malfunctioning.

Can you provide a link to the post?

Or if you belong to flickr or photobucket there's a way to add a photo:

Originally Posted by Coral3

If you want a photo to show up in your post, here's how:

First upload the photo into an online photo site like Photobucket (getting a photobucket account is easy and FREE) then just copy the photo's image code (IMG Code) from photobucket and paste it into your post. Then when you hit 'submit comment' the photo will display in the thread. Easy.

Photobucket is here: http://photobucket.com/

I'm pretty sure you can also use Flickr like this too - just look for the image code (IMG code) and copy and paste it.


angelcakes11 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 8:07pm
post #9 of 16

I think I did this right and thank you for letting me know that the uploader isnt working at this time

Here is the link to the photo


Texas_Rose Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 16

Here you go:

That looks like it was piped with royal icing and then painted with gold luster dust.

angelcakes11 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 16

Thank you for putting that up for me, that is one great royal icing piping job, not sure I can do that quite that well any suggestions on how I could possible get that similar scroll without doing royal icing.

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 8:29pm
post #12 of 16

You could probably do something similiar with that new Wilton baroque mold, but the scrolls are going to be a lot thicker. http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=B76337E9-1E0B-C910-EA17D9BC89247FA1

That piping looks like they added some stars here and there to fill in spaces. They did a great job but it makes my hand ache just looking at it icon_biggrin.gif

angelcakes11 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 8:56pm
post #13 of 16

Thank you so much I greatly appreciate the time you took to find that That would work perfectly I have looked it up and they are out of stock for ordering , I then checked stores that I get my cake supplies at and they are also showing out of stock and the cake is for tuesday!!

LisaPeps Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 9:50pm
post #14 of 16

You won't be able to order anything off the net for delivery Tuesday unless you pay through the roof shipping charges. I would suggest either trying to pipe it or rolling little snakes of gumpaste and trying to mold them into the shapes.

The only other thing is checking with all your local cake decorating shops and seeing if they have anything similiar.

Celcakes does a good mold, but I don't know if you can get it in the US?


Texas_Rose Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 10:11pm
post #15 of 16

Michaels, Hobby Lobby and Joanns all carry that Wilton mold. It's really easy to find.

If you do end up using it, fondant comes out of it a lot easier if you've mixed some tylose into the fondant.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 10:13pm
post #16 of 16

Could you use something like this as a pattern to follow for piping :


Quote by @%username% on %date%