Suggestions For Sturdy Icings For Summer Wedding Cakes

Baking By ceeceemac Updated 2 Jul 2011 , 5:16pm by olleharr

ceeceemac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceeceemac Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 10

Hi Folks! Can someone give recipes for icings that work well in the summer heat and humidity. I have a few summer weddings, all indoors, but I'm concerned about the icing during transportation.

9 replies
foodguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foodguy Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 10

IndyDeb's is perfect if you can find Dream Whip in your area. We live in Hooterville and our one store no longer sells it.

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 10

ditto...IndiDebi'a crisco based buttercream!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 10

Refrigerate the cake and cover it in fondant. That's about all you can do.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 10

I'd advise against refrigerating the cake, and there's no need for fondant if you don't want to use it. Both Indydeb's and Charlotte's icings are heat stable.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 10

Read this thread that started with one of my stories about Indydebi's Buttercream. You just can't beat it.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-628765-.html

Here is the recipe:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

You can find Dream Whip with the pudding/jello in the grocery aisle. Some large chains may have a generic equivalent. It's just a powdered whipped topping mix. If you are following the directions on the box, you add milk and whip it up. To make Indydebi's bc, you add the dry powder to the icing recipe.

You really should try it!

gildee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gildee Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 10

@leah......where can u get these hear stable buttercreams, never hear
ed of these!

sweetsirten Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsirten Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 6:47pm
post #8 of 10

Indydebi's Buttercream! I did a 4 tier wedding cake that sat outside, in Alabama, in June, for 3 hours, and the heat index was 103 - the cake didn't even wilt! I filled and iced the cake in Indydeb's BC and then covered it in a homemade buttercream fondant. I was very pleased with the result!

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 10

SugarShack's buttercream is the only icing I'll use for any outdoor gathering in the summer. It's made with hi ratio shortening which has a higher melting point than shortening you buy in the grocery store. (It's also not as sweet as Indydebi's, which my friends and family tend to prefer)

olleharr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olleharr Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 5:16pm
post #10 of 10

I've never tried these particular recipes but have thrown away quite a few that I've made with sortening/Crisco because I just can't get past that greasy feeling that it leaves in your mouth. I'm going to give it another shot with IndyDebs because I'm desparate for a buttercream that will hold up in the heat too. SugarShacks recipe seems to be a favorite on here also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%