Timing Of Filling/icing Cupcakes- Urgent

Baking By irisheyes13 Updated 2 Jul 2011 , 12:49am by Erika2000

irisheyes13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisheyes13 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 8

I'm having my daughter's graduation party tomorrow (Saturday) with guests beginning to arrive at 4:00. The event is outside with temps expected to be in the high 80's and high humidity. I'm using indydebi's bc icing so I'm not too worried about the heat at the party.

I have 180 cupcakes baked and frozen and was hoping to pull them out of the freezer later on today and fill and ice them tonight.

My questions are:

If the house is air conditioned, can I do everything tonight? (please say yes...so much else to do to get ready!)
If so, do the cupcakes need to be kept in air tight containers until they are put on display or will they stay fresh if I put them on the dining room table uncovered?

TIA
Kelly

7 replies
n_jean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
n_jean Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 8

Id say that you would be fine leaving them out but they would stay even more fresh if you did have them in an air tight container. No biggie if not. Also you will be fine taking them out now and once they thaw start filling!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 8

It would probably be better if they were covered to stay fresh, but I have left them out till next day and everything has been OK, probably since they've been covered with the buttercream.

Otherwise, you could buy these flat long boxes to store them and cover them, since you have so many.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-41-Quart-Storage-Box-Set-of-6/10401039?findingMethod=rr

Good luck with everything!

irisheyes13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisheyes13 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for both of the replies. My gut told me that I would probably be okay as long as the icing covered the cupcakes completely but I may just hit up Walmart or Target and pick up a few of the containers. It's not like I couldn't put them to use afterwards... maybe I can get my teenagers to organize their rooms!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 8

Those containers can always go under the bed with "stuff" like cake pans, clothes...or in a closet. And they could be good for transporting a huge amount of cupcakes somewhere else one day.

cakelover25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelover25 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 10:46pm
post #6 of 8

I'm facing the same situation making cupcakes for my inlaws 50th anniversary. The party is at our house so I need to do as much as possible ahead of time.

I found a 3 in 1 organizer which has 3 stacking boxes at Kmart for $10. The largest box is 16 x 15 and the other 2 are slightly smaller. Seemed a good price for the number of cupcakes I can fit it in.

Good luck with your party.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 12:22am
post #7 of 8

Are you filling them with buttercream or just putting the buttercream on top? If you are using something else as a filling, it depends on what that filling is as to whether they will be okay.

Erika2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika2000 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 12:49am
post #8 of 8

If you go to your local grocery store that has a bakery you can purchase the plastic cupcake containers that hold a dozen cupcakes for about 50 cents apiece. they snap close and will keep your cupcakes fresh for a couple of days. I use them all the time for cupcake orders. And you can stack them 3 high. Great for transporting I no longer use boxes with cupcake inserts - threw all mine out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%