Cricut Cake Cutter

Decorating By jensthemom Updated 21 Jul 2011 , 9:54pm by LisaPeps

jensthemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensthemom Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:32am
post #1 of 21

Can anyone tell me if it is worth getting the Cricut cake cutter? I would especially like it for cutting out letters and numbers. I currently do everything by hand, but it almost looks too good to be true.

20 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:38am
post #2 of 21

Iprefer the silette because you don't have to buy expensive cartridges.

JillyPlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillyPlot Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:51am
post #3 of 21

I love my Cricut Cake Mini. There are a few photos of stuff I've done using mine. I know other people prefer other machines, but I think this was so easy for me to adjust to because I also have a Cricut Expression for scrapbooking. I also think having so many cartridges for that also made me like this cutter so much.

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 2:11am
post #4 of 21

I bought this machine about 2 months ago in hopes that it would work for me. I watched the dvd & read the book.
When I went to work with it, it ripped my fondant like crazy. I remembered from previous reviews that you should freeze the fondant sheets and then use them....well, I did!! That worked for one cut out and then it began to rip again.
I know people will tell you to use gumpaste, but honestly I make my own fondant and prefer to use mine especially since the colors will match my cake perfectly.
So.....the end result for me was to return the machine to the place I bought it from and go back to doing things by hand. It takes more time to make a cake when you are using this.
I have to say though, it's a genius idea, I just wish it did better with fondant. If they improve that, I may buy it again.
Also, if you decide to get it, ebay has the cartridges for dirt cheap compared to the stores.
Good luck, I hope you find out what you need to make your final decision.

tiggy2 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 12:24pm
post #5 of 21

Fondant alone is too soft to work well. Try adding tylose and letting dry awhile after rolling thin before tryng to cut and you will have better luck. The key is rolling very, very thin. Check out Linda McClure's youtube videos.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 12:31pm
post #6 of 21

I love mine but I know some people hate it. It does take time and patience to learn what works best. The best luck I have had so far was with a mix of gumpaste and fondant that was NOT freshly mixed. I used some that I had left over that was about a week old and it worked wonderfully.

I still use cutters all the time but I do love my cricut. I also use SureCutsAlot and can cut just about anything I want.

HTH

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 12:31pm
post #7 of 21

I have the cricut cake and love it. I don't use it all the time, but it is great for volume of a single shape (polka dots, loops for a bow topper, etc.) and I use it a lot for lettering. I don't have a ton of carts, but get them occasionally from ebay and some online only stores for under $30... one of the online sites has over 40 carts for $17.76 for 4th of July. It definitely takes practice and I agree with tiggy2, check out Linda MCClure's stuff.

I would like to get a silhouette also, just because I can import my own images if/when I need to...

tiggy2 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 12:41pm
post #8 of 21

If you get a silhouette be sure to get it from Linda as she has a special blade for fondant/gumpaste. The blades that come with the silhouette WILL NOT WORK.

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 12:57pm
post #9 of 21

I have a Cricut Cake and working with Make-the-Cut its plain awsomeness! LOL
Never freeze my media, only roll very thin fondant and let it dry under a fan... how long? it all depends in the fondant, temp and humidity it may take 1 hour or overnight, the key for me is touch it and when no longer feells sticky and soft, that's when I use it. I keep mats with "left overs" if they are big enough in a large (XXL) ziplock bag I found in the house area of some stores.

BUT... beware that Cricut doesn't work with softwares that eanble free editing any more, exclusively for use with cratridges. If you want the freedom of importing, scanning or even drawing your shapes, then you you may want to turn to the silhouette.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:22pm
post #10 of 21

I am contemplating getting the silhouette from Linda at convention... at the very least I may pick up the "blade pack" and can get the machine later.

crazyladybaker Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:30pm
post #11 of 21

I was curious about what_a_cake's comment about some of the software not working with Cricut. I had no idea the new versions didn't work anymore. It appears Make the Cut as well as Sure Cuts a Lot new versions wont work.
But, I wonder if you can find an older version out there? I have SCL and I LOVE it!
http://www.surecutsalot.com/software/software.html

tiggy2 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:34pm
post #12 of 21

If you've updated the firmware on your cricut an older version wont work either.

crazyladybaker Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:41pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

If you've updated the firmware on your an older version wont work either.

so glad I read this thread! I would be very upset if my software quit working. I will make sure and not do the updates.
Thanks for sharing that.

tiggy2 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:45pm
post #14 of 21

Provocraft wants to make sure you have to buy their cartridges. Silhouette really is the best choice.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:56pm
post #15 of 21

For the basics though, you only need a handful of carts. I just like the ease of plugging it in and going... especially since you can get the mini for $100 on sale (although I have the big one).

quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 2:28pm
post #16 of 21

I just started using mine and I love it! It works well with gumpaste and I mix in CMC rolled fondant stabilizer with my fondant if I need particular colors. I've also had success using it with the new icing sheets from Wilton. As for the cartridges, I only buy them in-store when they have really good sales. I usually find the best deals online at stores like Custom Crops. When I did my sisters baby shower last month, it was easy to perfectly coordinate the cake with the other decorations that I made using my standard cricut - she loved it! I'm really happy with the purchase!!!

jensthemom Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 8:00pm
post #17 of 21

So many great responses!!! Thank you! Did not know about the silohoute. Will check it out first to see if that would be a better fit for me.

Thanks!!!

SideCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SideCakes Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 7:39pm
post #18 of 21

I was just wondering the same thing, i seen the Cricut cake on clearance at Hobby Lobby today for $120, down from the original price of $400. And all the carts were on clearance too for like $12. But I like the option of importing/doing your own designs on the Sillhouette. I dont know why there's a 70% markdown, is something wrong with it?

pinkpiggie78 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 8:02pm
post #19 of 21

From what I have been hearing, a lot of folks see that it is "so easy" to decorate cakes using this machine and then they find out it isn't and return it.

jensthemom Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 9:16pm
post #20 of 21

Thanks for all the comments!! Still not sure, but will look into the Silo!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 9:54pm
post #21 of 21

I had a break through today with my cricut and posted some tips that worked for me, here's the thread:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=7166589#7166589

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%