Bean-Shaped Mini-Cake?

Decorating By katj012 Updated 30 Aug 2011 , 6:46pm by SarahBeth3

katj012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katj012 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making a Chicago-themed cake, and finally settled on my design.

I would LOVE to be able to make a bean-shaped litttle mini-cake for the topper of this cake to represent the Bean sculpture here (basically a giant silver jelly bean).

Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this? My initial thought is a couple cupcakes put together and then carved... but I"m not sure on that either...

Thanks in advance!

8 replies
hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 9

What size are you after, and does it have to be a cake? Might be simpler to make it out of RKT, or fondant or modeling choc.

I think you'd have a hard time getting a pair of cupcakes to stay together, but you could carve it out of cake baked in, say, a mini loaf pan or a mini ball pan. Or even a regular round or rectangle, possibly layered, depending on the finished size you're after.

Holly

katj012 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 9

Hmm... good point, I could always do fondant or gum paste. I just hate all the nonsense on cakes that's inedible (e.g. a ginormous lump of fondant), so I try to make things as edible as possible.

Good idea on the loaf pan though...I will have to try that out!

I'm not looking for it to be too big - just maybe 3 inches tall by 4 inches wide MAX.

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 9

Oh wow! I have no suggestions but I LOVE this idea! I love Cloud Gate. Please post photos and I hope it all goes well for you.

SarahBeth3 Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:30am
post #5 of 9

katj012, how did your Chicago-themed cake turn out?

katj012 Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 9

It's actually due this weekend - so wish me luck, tonight I start really getting into it! I'm getting nervous!

SarahBeth3 Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 9

I hope it goes really well for you! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

katj012 Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 3:33pm
post #8 of 9

I finished this cake - and was totally embarrassed by it. It wasn't THAT bad, but I got a round of food poisoning the night before it was due, so the decorating just didn't happen the way I wanted.

But for the Bean - I actually made just a large cake pop that was bean shaped, then dipped it in chocolate, then sprayed it with silver edible paint. The only thing I didn't like about it was that I could not for the life of me get the bean to be anything resembling smooth. It was kind of lumpy - but at the end, everyone knew what it was.

SarahBeth3 Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 9

Sorry to hear you were sick. Sounds like a great idea you had on executing the bean, wish it could have been smoother for you. I'm sure the cake was lovely, as we are our own worst critics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%