Instant Espresso

Decorating By nikki1273 Updated 1 Jul 2011 , 3:44am by mburkett

nikki1273  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1273 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 9

I have several recipes that call for instant espresso. I have looked all over my small town for this with no luck! I know that I can use xtra strong coffee (which is what I have been doing), but I would like to find the espresso. Anyone who uses this, I would love to hear where you purchase it! TIA

8 replies
 theresaf  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 9

Nikki, I live in New York and find it at all the big grocery chains. It's a very small glass jar, the one I get is made by Medaglia D'Oro. It's in the coffee aisle, not the specialty food aisle (but you can check where they have other Italian specialty food too!) When I use it, btw, I sift it to make the grains smaller and easier to incorporate. Good luck! Theresa

icer101  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 9

I find mine a the health food stores???

Elcee  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 9

I use the same brand that theresaf uses and my local Safeway carries it, but Walmart doesn't.

Cakeuhlicious  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 9

They have 1 brand at my local Fred Meyer store that I use to make a mocha chocolate mousse.

Fred Meyer is owned by Kroger. Maybe you have one of those? If not, they sell it all over online.

scp1127  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 2:50am
post #6 of 9

Thumbs up for Medaglia D'Oro. I can't get it locally, but amazon has it in various quantities.

madcobbler  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 3:09am
post #7 of 9

Medalgia D'Oro is the only instant espresso I'll use.

steffla  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 3:13am
post #8 of 9

DOtto on the megdalia d'oro ...love it!

mburkett  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 3:44am
post #9 of 9

Funny how this posted today. I just received a copy of a Cuise at Home cooking magazine that had an article in it about Espresso Powder. Pictured is the Megdalia d'Oro which I use (from Safeway). They also mention that standard "instant coffee" isn't a good replacement because it isn't as fine. Also mentions you can find it at Williams-Sonoma, on-line at King Arthur's Flour or suggests the Starbuck French Roast VIA in its place. I'm sure Amazon will have it.

I have an automatic Espresso Machine so I'll usually brew a super strong shot and use that. Power can give you much more intense flavor without adding too much liquid though.

Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%