Help, Fondant Breakage...

Decorating By labmom Updated 30 Jun 2011 , 9:57pm by Coral3

labmom Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 4

I have had so much help from you for this fondant cake that I am making for the end of July. Now I have figured out how to make the fondant decorations the doilies. but fondant is breaking after drying. am I rolling it to thin?

they will be stuck into the cake before delivery. I have put fondant on and into cakes before and sometimes the fondant softened and broken from the moisture of the cake and buttercream.

If I add gumpaste to the fondant will it make it harder and stronger more resistant to softening and breakage?

Perhaps should I make the whole decorations of gumpaste? I haven't worked with that too much but I have been making practice doilie decorations.

Its an amazing cake and I don't want it screwed up with the doilies breaking.

3 replies
TexasSugar Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 4

Gumpaste mixed in will help it dry harder.

Also when you stored your cake before, did you store it in an airtight container? Fondant/gumpaste decorations, buttercream and air tight containers don't get along well.

Texas_Rose Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 4

If nobody will be eating the doilies, gumpaste would be a good choice. It dries faster and stronger, can be worked thinner, and when completely dry is less sensitive to moisture than fondant or a fondant/gumpaste mix.

Coral3 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 4

Ditto all of the above

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%