If You Use Jello For A Strawberry Wasc Extender, Do You...

Baking By banananutmuffin Updated 1 Jul 2011 , 1:47am by warchild

banananutmuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banananutmuffin Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 7

If you use jello for your strawberry WASC extender recipe, do you dissolve it in hot water and then use that as the liquid? How much do you use? Do you use vanilla as the flavoring? (I don't have any strawberry extract and am making the cake tomorrow.) Do you use a strawberry flavored cake mix?

Thanks for any help!

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 7

I've done it before. It makes a rather firm cake. Start with strawberry cake mix and then add the jello in place of part of the sugar.

When I've done it, the cake is firm enough that I usually brush it with a sugar syrup before frosting it so that it won't seem dry to people.

The other option is to use strawberry cake mix, and use strawberry yogurt instead of the sour cream...but cut back a little on the sugar or you'll have a crumbly cake.

gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 7

I use it the same way would use a box of the powdered pudding mix, straight out of the box and into the mixing bowl. No extra liquid needed.

jessim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessim Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 7

Jello now makes a Strawberry Creme pudding, I've done strawberry cake mix with the strawberry pudding it was very good, flavor wasn't over powering, I was afraid it might be. But I haven't tried the jello.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 12:16am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by banananutmuffin

If you use jello for your strawberry WASC extender recipe, do you dissolve it in hot water and then use that as the liquid? How much do you use? Do you use vanilla as the flavoring? (I don't have any strawberry extract and am making the cake tomorrow.) Do you use a strawberry flavored cake mix?

Thanks for any help!

I use strawberry yogurt (regular,not no fat) in place of the sour cream, 3 tablespoons strawberry jello, (found the whole box to be too dense) 1/2 strawberry juice (strained from mashed strawberries) and 1/2 buttermilk for the liquid, 1/2 tsp watkins double strenth vanilla, a scant 1/2 tsp watkins strawberry extract, and a smidge of almond extract. I leave the almond out if my almond disliking friend is coming to visit.

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 12:47am
post #6 of 7

I use strawberry nectar in place of the liquid. Use it in the buttercream also. Very good without being overpowering.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:47am
post #7 of 7

There's also MacsMom's list of Gourmet flavors you might want to check out. I know there's a couple of strawberry cake recipes, plus so many more, you'll be in cake recipe heaven!

Click the link.. icon_biggrin.gif

https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%