Opinions Please... What Is The Best Fondant?

Baking By CAC74 Updated 1 Jul 2011 , 7:40am by sweettreat101

CAC74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAC74 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 11

I'm not a big fan of fondant for cakes, I don't like the taste at all. What is your favorite fondant recipe? Or is there a supplier you purchase from? I would like to do more fondant cakes... but I hate that people just peel it off. I need to find a tasty one.... THANKS FOR YOUR HELP! icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 11

Rhonda's Ultimate MMF in CC recipes or FONDX

Darlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darlene Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 2:02am
post #3 of 11

Fondarific icon_biggrin.gif

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 2:18am
post #4 of 11

I had been making my own mmf. Recently, Satin Ice was on sale. It would have cost me the same to make mmf, as purchased Satin Ice . I purchased it from Globalsugarart.com.
I found the Satin Ice more durable then homemade mmf. There is something very nice about just reaching into a bucket, and not have to knead 10X into mmf for 15 minutes before you have something decent to work with.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! icon_wink.gif

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 2:29am
post #5 of 11

Fondx is my favorite!

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 2:43am
post #6 of 11

I love my SatinIce. I have used Wiltons, Fondx and MMF and really keep coming back to SI. I love how easily it rolls in the Sweetwise Mat and how smooth it covers cakes.

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 2:47am
post #7 of 11

I make MMF, especially like making it with the pink/strawberry marshmallows when I need pink fondant and it goes w/ the cake flavors. I buy SatinIce in black, chocolate, red, purple b/c the MMF gets hard to roll when you add too much food color. Duff's isn't bad if I get it w/ a coupon - I don't like Wilton.

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 3:37am
post #8 of 11

I make my own fondant because it tastes so much better. For brown I add unsweetened cocoa. The exception being for for red and black (takes too much food coloring) and then I use Satin Ice. I don't recommend Wilton's. For a beginner I would recommend premade because homemade is a lot of work. Especially if you are covering multiple cakes with lots of detail. It's also worth investing in a machine to roll out your fondant.

thecakediva40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakediva40 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 3:53am
post #9 of 11

mmf (marsh mellow fondant) is the very best or satin ice is the best fondants

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 4:42am
post #10 of 11

I love michele fosters fondant (recipe found on this site) It tastes sooo much better than any of the premade fondants I've tried, and is soo much easier to make than MMF in my opinion. Also since you're making it yourself it is really easy to flavor it however you want. I've used almond, orange, lemon, mint, white chocolate almond (my fave!) If you get the country kitchen oils your possibilities are endless, though I usually just use whatever extract compliments the cake flavor I'm making. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, everybody finds the one that works for them icon_smile.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 7:40am
post #11 of 11

To work with Fondx flavor Fondarific. Many flavors to choose from. Orange cream, lemon, chocolate, cherry, strawberry, mocha was really good. You can order a sample pack for 6.00 includes shipping.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%