Ganache

Decorating By TamiAZ Updated 3 Jul 2011 , 1:05am by Moovaughan

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 9

When you ice a cake with ganache, does it form a shell around the cake?

I was watching Planet Cake's video segments...
They ice their cakes with ganache and then covered them with fondant....Their edges were crisp. Kind of like when you ice a dummy cake so I was wondering if the ganache forms a shell.

Thanks!

8 replies
Jody130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jody130 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 9

Yes it does form a kinda shell, I cover mine, get tops and side clean and smooth, then let it set till it hardens some, brush lightly with water/or simple syrup, then cover in fondant

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 9

Sure does - once you have used it you will want to use it again and again and again.......................and again.

After Ganaching my cakes i let them settle over night - just with a net over the cake on the bench top - no need to refridgerate at all.
Even if it is 120+ in the shade thumbs_up.gif

Its the most popular way to cover a cake before using fondant over here -
Or just leaving it Ganached and then decorated - if you wish.
So very versitile - as a covering or as a filling.

Don't get to confused when people start talking about
Whipped Ganache - or Stirred Ganache

Ganache is Ganache - and don't bother adding Butter - there is enough Fat in it with the cream and Chocolate.
We never add Butter to it....................... icon_razz.gif Blahhhh.

You want the taste of the Chocolate to reign surpreme - so just use the cream and chocolate for best results.

Bluehue

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you for the responses... icon_biggrin.gif

Bluehue...Do you cover ALL your cakes with ganache or only certain flavors?

I think I might try this since I love the way it looks after it's covered with fondant..Very crisp and clean looking! thumbs_up.gif

Would you mind sharing the recipe you use?

TerriLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerriLynn Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiAZ

Thank you for the responses... icon_biggrin.gif

Bluehue...Do you cover ALL your cakes with ganache or only certain flavors?

I think I might try this since I love the way it looks after it's covered with fondant..Very crisp and clean looking! thumbs_up.gif

Would you mind sharing the recipe you use?

Oh!!! I would love the recipe too icon_smile.gif

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 5:46pm
post #6 of 9

yes please would you mind sharing the ganache recipie using no butter just cream and chocolate. What are the ratio's?

Thank you very much

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Sure does - once you have used it you will want to use it again and again and again.......................and again.

After Ganaching my cakes i let them settle over night - just with a net over the cake on the bench top - no need to refridgerate at all.
Even if it is 120+ in the shade thumbs_up.gif

Its the most popular way to cover a cake before using fondant over here -
Or just leaving it Ganached and then decorated - if you wish.
So very versitile - as a covering or as a filling.

Don't get to confused when people start talking about
Whipped Ganache - or Stirred Ganache

Ganache is Ganache - and don't bother adding Butter - there is enough Fat in it with the cream and Chocolate.
We never add Butter to it....................... icon_razz.gif Blahhhh.

You want the taste of the Chocolate to reign surpreme - so just use the cream and chocolate for best results.

Bluehue

D. I. T. T. O. to all !! thumbs_up.gif I don't like chocolate myself, but I ganache ALL my cakes icon_biggrin.gif

Nazarine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nazarine Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 12:57am
post #8 of 9

I've used ganache to cover a cake before (under fondant). Loved the results. Tonight I will be using whipped ganache as a filling for our BBQ party tomorrow. The weather will be in the high 90s. Should this be a problem? I'm not going to be refrigerating the cake. My fear is that the whipped topping will become runny. The cake will be indoors most of the time, in air conditioning, but my house can get into the high 70s/low 80s during the day with the oven on, kids running in and out, etc.

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 1:05am
post #9 of 9

Another good thing about ganache because of the harder (not really hard cause you can easily cut throught it) coating, you don't get those bulges in the fondant if you haven't "settled" the layers enough. Also, I usually whip my with a hand mixer to fluff it up a bit, it helps smooth better but I just love the crisp lines this coating gives to my fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%