Types Of Vanilla

Baking By FairyCakeLuv Updated 7 Jul 2011 , 8:11pm by Narie

sacakesandbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sacakesandbakes Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 7:56pm
post #31 of 39

Does the brand of vodka make a difference?

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 9:13pm
post #32 of 39

sacakes, I don't think so. But just with cooking and wine, if you wouldn't drink it, why use it? I figure if I'm going to put all that vanilla insomething, I'm going to get something decent. The first time I got Absolut, and the last couple times I got some Polish vodka....pretty bottle too.

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 5:35pm
post #33 of 39

This is a very interesting thread - I tried to make vanilla once. I followed the same directions outlined here but all I ended up with was vanilla-ish flavored vodka. Gross! Smelled only very faintly like vanilla, though it did turn dark in color. I even tried leaving it several more months after that. Still no good. Maybe it was the particular vanilla beans I had? I'm not sure what I did wrong, but it was horrible. icon_sad.gif

On another note, I have had great success with vanilla I purchased in Mexico (though I see now that I should reconsider) and even better success with a bottle I picked up in St. Thomas. This was THE BEST! and I have no idea how they did it. It was in a small glass bottle, it had the beans inside, it was thick (thicker than water/alcohol but not quite as thick as honey), and it didn't smell like alcohol at all. It took only a tiny bit to make an excellent flavor. I'd be very interested if anyone knew anything about this. (If it was bad for me, well, oops...but so far I am still alive).

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 5:48pm
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsmorris

This is a very interesting thread - I tried to make vanilla once. I followed the same directions outlined here but all I ended up with was vanilla-ish flavored vodka. Gross! Smelled only very faintly like vanilla, though it did turn dark in color. I even tried leaving it several more months after that. Still no good. Maybe it was the particular vanilla beans I had? I'm not sure what I did wrong, but it was horrible. icon_sad.gif

On another note, I have had great success with vanilla I purchased in Mexico (though I see now that I should reconsider) and even better success with a bottle I picked up in St. Thomas. This was THE BEST! and I have no idea how they did it. It was in a small glass bottle, it had the beans inside, it was thick (thicker than water/alcohol but not quite as thick as honey), and it didn't smell like alcohol at all. It took only a tiny bit to make an excellent flavor. I'd be very interested if anyone knew anything about this. (If it was bad for me, well, oops...but so far I am still alive).

That almost sounds like vanilla paste. I've never seen the beans still in it though.

AnotherCaker Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 5:53pm
post #35 of 39

Mine smells vodkish for a while too but it should. With the absence of corn syrups, thickeners, sugars, and whatever else manufactures put in to hide that smell.....well, there you go. I put a lot more than the extract recipes call for. I'm a "if it calls for this much, I'm going to put even more in" kind of gal with this stuff. If you're only using two or three beans from the supermarket, forget it, it isn't going to be as nice as it should be. Check the links again, and read some of the descriptions. You want plump, fat, oily beans that are bursting with seeds.

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 6:04pm
post #36 of 39

Thanks to both of you. I'll try vanilla paste and see what that's about. I'll also buy some better vanilla beans and give that a try again as well. I get what you're saying about the additives - makes perfect sense! The thing is, when I put that stuff in my frosting, I ended up with alcohol frosting as opposed to vanilla frosting. I've heard raves from people who make their own though, so I'm very inlined to believe that the beans I was using were of poor quality or that I didn't use enough of them.

Thanks for your help! icon_smile.gif

AnotherCaker Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 6:08pm
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsmorris

Thanks to both of you. I'll try vanilla paste and see what that's about. I'll also buy some better vanilla beans and give that a try again as well. I get what you're saying about the additives - makes perfect sense! The thing is, when I put that stuff in my frosting, I ended up with alcohol frosting as opposed to vanilla frosting. I've heard raves from people who make their own though, so I'm very inlined to believe that the beans I was using were of poor quality or that I didn't use enough of them.

Thanks for your help! icon_smile.gif

Yes, I am sure it's a matter of the amount of beans in proprtion to the amount of vodka. I highly recommend this paste from Vanilla Products. Read the description. icon_smile.gif

http://www.vanillaproductsusa.com/servlet/the-7/1-LB-One-Pound/Detail

If you order it, I would repackage it once it arrives, in a clear jar or something with a tighter fitting lid, and keep that in a Ziplock bag.

idontknow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idontknow Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 7:46pm
post #38 of 39

Has anyone used a vanilla powder form? like this one: http://www.vanillamart.co.uk/products/Premium-Grade-Madagascan-Vanilla-Powder.html

how would you use this in cake batter?

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 8:11pm
post #39 of 39

This is the vanilla paste I use. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GE8N4Y/?tag=cakecentral-20

This large bottle of it makes the paste affordable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%