Crumbly Fondant. Help?

Decorating By michaud1985 Updated 1 Jul 2011 , 3:18pm by Texas_Rose

michaud1985 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 7

Summers where I live are very humid, we use a/c but can't seem to get our fondant to hold up when we add a lot of gel color. We use a combination of shortening, powdered sugar, and corn starch to keep the fondant from being sticky but we get to a point of no return and it becomes a crumbly mess. How do we avoid this? Any ideas?

6 replies
katie1214 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 7

I am by no means an expert, just passing on what I've learned here on this site so far icon_biggrin.gif You can put it in the microwave for about 10 seconds to soften it up. You can add a little light corn syrup to it and knead it in. You can roll it out on shortening instead of the cornstarch b/c too much might be making it dry. I've had good results by doing those 3 things - hope it helps you!

michaud1985 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 2:22am
post #3 of 7

thanks! I had not thought of adding corn starch to fondant. I will give it a shot.

bobhope Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 11:29am
post #4 of 7

where i come from is very humid..i only roll my fondant on cornstarch coz i find rolling them on powdered sugar makes fondant dry so fast..hope you'll get around it ..good luck icon_smile.gif

LisaPeps Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 11:53am
post #5 of 7
Originally Posted by michaud1985

thanks! I had not thought of adding corn starch to fondant. I will give it a shot.

Don't add corn starch add corn syrup. Adding corn starch will make the crumbling worse!

michaud1985 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 12:42pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone. I only use enough corn starch to keep from sticking to the table, I'm sure my combination is enough to make it crumble. I will start using corn syrup.

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 7

Try coloring it right after you make it, instead of letting it rest overnight. Just coat your hands with crisco and knead the color in, then let the fondant rest overnight.

The other thing I've figured out, in my house at least, is that fondant does much better with the AC turned down to 72 than it does at 75...wouldn't think 3 degrees would make that much difference, but for me it does.

Quote by @%username% on %date%