Expirement Results

Decorating By bakingkat Updated 30 Jun 2011 , 3:32pm by Sorelle

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 3

I know that everyone has their own ways that work for them when it comes to how to roll out fondant, and how to store the cake, etc. That being said I did an expirement and would like to share my results with you.

Shortening and MFF works best.

Here's how I tested it out.

I used Michele Foster's Fondant, a crusting cream cheese frosting, and a thick dam with a pineapple orange filling and tropical cake.

For my expirement I made a 6" cake and cut it into 1/4ths. I then rolled out my trusty MFF using 2 different methods, half using powdered sugar on my table, the top, rolling pin, etc. the other half using shortening and the blue silicone mat. I covered the 4 small cakes, dusted with cornstarch for smoothing and put one powdered sugar cake and one shortening cake in each the fridge and freezer (commercial quality). I placed them straight in, no box, no wrap, just cake.

Fast forward to the next day, got to work, pulled out all 4 cakes. Immediately there was a huge difference. The one with powdered sugar in the fridge looked all shiny and sticky. The one rolled out with shortening still looked matte and wasn't shiny at all, but it was still slightly sticky to the touch. The ones from the freezer had less of a difference when first pulled out. After sitting out for a little while the one that had powdered sugar started getting beads of condensation on it and the one with shortening started getting shiny, but less obviously than the sugar one. The one in the fridge with the shortening dried out the fastest and had no stick left to it. The rest pretty much stayed sticky even if they looked dry. Both fridge ones did better than the freezer ones.

Sorry this is sooo wordy but I wanted to explain every bit of the process for you. In short, shortening and fridge with MFF and comercial grade coolers get the best result for me. Hope this helps someone out there, I always see questions about fondant and to fridge or not to fridge.

2 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 3

Interesting! Thanks! I always use shortening with fondant...although I use the fondant only for decor...and I've never had a problem with it being in the fridge either. Good to know it works for you too--scientifically proven! thumbs_up.gif

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for sharingicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%