Cake Flour Measurement..please Help?

Baking By jenscreativity Updated 1 Jul 2011 , 4:00pm by FromScratchSF

jenscreativity Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 11:52am
post #1 of 5

I am starting to do more scratch cakes now,,and I get so confused on the cake flour measurement.

Ok, so if a recipe calls for cake flour, do we measure the cake flour AFTER we sift it or it doesn't matter? When a recipe calls for SIFTED cake flour, I measure after I sift it,,but what if it doesn't specifically say "sifted Flour"? Hope this makes sense? Thanks for your help on this.. icon_redface.gif

4 replies
jenscreativity Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 12:15pm
post #2 of 5

anyone know?

gatorcake Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 12:20pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenscreativity

I am starting to do more scratch cakes now,,and I get so confused on the cake flour measurement.

Ok, so if a recipe calls for cake flour, do we measure the cake flour AFTER we sift it or it doesn't matter? When a recipe calls for SIFTED cake flour, I measure after I sift it,,but what if it doesn't specifically say "sifted Flour"? Hope this makes sense? Thanks for your help on this.. icon_redface.gif

Sifting aerates flour changing the volume of the amount of flour that is sifted. A cup of flour that is then sifted will be more than a cup.

There is less flour in a cup of sifted cake flour than a cup of cake flour that is not sifted. Given this if it does not say "sifted cake flour" do not sift then measure.

If it says 1 cup sifted cake flour, you sift then measure (just as you do now). If it says 1 cup cake flour, sifted, you measure then sift. [list=][/list]

jenscreativity Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 5

thank you soo much!

FromScratchSF Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 5

I used RLB's sifted weight to convert all my recipes no matter what the original recipe says and have had 100% success. I use 3.5oz/cup for cake flour and 4.25oz/cup for all purpose.

Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%