Peacock Wedding Cake Q's

Decorating By Loloface Updated 19 Jul 2011 , 5:13am by Loloface

Loloface Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 7:08am
post #1 of 10

So I'm making a peacock wedding cake. I'm new to wedding cakes in general, but its for a friend and I really think I can make this look great, even with my lack of experience. I'm almost certain I'm going to use the Wilton Towering Tiers cake stand, since I'm not going to be at the event, and I would hate to have the cake fall apart/collapse/someone screw it up, and it seems stable and easy to assemble/take apart for cutting and serving.
4 tiers, all buttercream, (the bride wants minimal fondant work) with a peacock on the top tier, and the tail going down the side of the cake.
I think I'm going to mold the bird body out of rice krispy, and cover it with either fondant or modeling chocolate (does anyone have a suggestion, one or the other?) and make the tail feathers out of one or the other (or gumpaste?) based on a template I found online. Its going to be a little more time consuming, but its a slightly more realistic feather template then some of the photos Ive been seeing online, that are just tear drop shapes with circles in the center. I wish I could make like a cookie cutter or something for the feathers, so I don't have to cut out each individual feather with an exacto knife. (again, suggestions or tips to make this process easier? Its going to be a tall cake, and Im probably going to have to make a lot of them)

Since I'm not covering the cakes in fondant, I could bake them and freeze them right? Until I'm ready to use them? If so, how far in advance?
How far in advance can I frost them before they get nasty? (I'm trying to plan this out so I can take time off work if necessary)
As for the fondant/modeling chocolate work, how far in advance?

The wedding is in 1 month.

Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

9 replies
idontknow Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:02am
post #2 of 10

sounds lovely! i've been meaning to try the peacock look out.

for the feathers, as you won't have a cutter I would start as soon as possible in making them - although you could find a petal cutter that is of a similar shape to save you time? Have a search for an online cake decorating store's cutters range and see if you like the shape of one of them. I would use a 50/50 fondant/GP mix and I would start making them now!! LOL. With GP decorations you make them months in advance and nothing will happen to them (unless like myself you have a 2 year old running around icon_smile.gif) and they need all the time they can get to dry out anyway. Always make a few extra in case of breakages.

You can actually bake and freeze any cake regardless of how you plan to cover it. I like to freeze my cakes even for just a night so that I can handle them easily. I usually start baking the wkend before the cake needs to be done (due to having a FT job), freeze the cakes till 3 days before, take them out let them thaw a little and fill and frost and fridge, then cover in fondant the next day, and then add other decorations. As you plan to skip the fondant stage, you would only need a couple of days before the wedding to start working on the baked cakes - one day fill and crumb coat and let settle, then the next day attach your feathers and do borders etc. So really most of your work will be done in advance - the bird and feathers.

If you haven't stacked a cake before I would say bake a couple of tiers and practice, if the cake's going to travel, put it in your car and take it for a drive to make sure everything is secure. You say you are new to wedding cakes, but I'm not sure if you mean cakes too? I'm assuming you are used to decorating other cakes? if not, take into account that everything is going to take a lot longer than you think when you are first starting out.

Best of luck and hope it all goes well! icon_smile.gif

elainemc Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:46am
post #3 of 10

jjkarm Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 4:03am
post #4 of 10

I recently made a peacock cake and did a lot of what you're describing. I made the body from rice krispie treats and then covered it with white chocolate. After the chocolate dried, I covered it with fondant using a veining tool to add feather details to the body itself.

For the inside colors of each tail feather I used teardrop shaped cutters. For the outside color I used a hydrangea leaf cutter then cut the slits with an exacto knife.

I used gumpaste to make my tail feathers.... with all the colors and layers of each feather, I wanted to roll them thin. I also wanted to make sure they dried in time. Making the feathers actually went a faster then I'd expected. I wish, however, that the cake had another layer so the tail could have been longer.

Here's a link where you can see it:

johnson6ofus Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 4:33am
post #5 of 10

Judy-amazing cake! icon_eek.gif

kater82 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 4:48am
post #6 of 10

I made a small peacock feather cake. I did the feathers in different colors of fondant and then scored the centers with a knife. Piped the outside. Its in my photos if ya wana take a gander....

jjkarm Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 2:44pm
post #7 of 10

Ahhhhhhh shucks..... thanks Johnson6ofus! icon_biggrin.gif

Loloface Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 7:57pm
post #8 of 10

JUDY! That cake is beautiful icon_smile.gif
I just made some demo feathers based off of yours and I love the way they turned out.
I used a leaf cookie cutter for the outside, (I couldn't get the hydrangea without buying the whole 30 dollar flower set) and tear drops for the inside, and I bought a little circle for the inner most layer. I love the way they turned out!
Now I've just run into some design flaws with the cake stand icon_sad.gif
I posted a new thread about it in General, if anyone feels like helping me out

cakeyouverymuch Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 10
Originally Posted by Loloface

I wish I could make like a cookie cutter or something for the feathers, so I don't have to cut out each individual feather with an exacto knife. (again, suggestions or tips to make this process easier? Its going to be a tall cake, and Im probably going to have to make a lot of them)

Just for future reference, you CAN make your own cutters:

They're also available on Amazon:

Loloface Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 5:13am
post #10 of 10

In case anyone would like to see the progression of this cake, I've been posting photos on facebook.

I will post photos of the finished cake on here when I am done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%