Big Fondant Or Gumpaste Bow

Decorating By ngandara Updated 30 Jun 2011 , 3:59am by mcaulir

ngandara Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 3:24am
post #1 of 5

I have tried to use fondant to make a big puffy bow for the very top of the cake and the fondant either breaks or get's flat... any ideas to make the perfect bow???

4 replies
Jaimelt76 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 3:46am
post #2 of 5

When I make mine I roll the gumpaste out to a 7 on my pasta roller. I then cut each stip and fold in half and place a toothpick in the end so it goes together easier. I then place them on their side and open them a little like a bow is. I let them dry for a good 2 days. I do have some drying right now if you would like me to take a pic of them and send you. I will be assembling the bow tomorrow so I can take pics of the process I use to put it together as well. I do have some cakes with bows in my pics if you want to take a look. HTH

icer101 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 3:51am
post #3 of 5

Hi, look on youtube at planetcakes demoing this kind of bow. It is gorgeous. Either use g/p or fondant with some tylose mixed in or gumtex. When you add either one of these ingredients to fondant, you then have g/p. hth

pmarks0 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 3:53am
post #4 of 5

When I was learning to make bows I was taught to put a crumpled up piece of kleenex, paper towel, or plastic wrap in side each piece of the bow after it was formed. This would help hold the shape and would stay there until the bow was fully dried. You may find it better to use a 50/50 fondant-gumpaste mix rather than all fondant to get it a bit more firm without being really hard.

mcaulir Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 3:59am
post #5 of 5

You really need to use fondant with tylose powder kneaded in, or fondant'gumpaste mix. Fondant by itself doesn't dry hard enough to form a bow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%