Need Help On Making Stacked Books Cake

Decorating By labmom Updated 30 Jun 2011 , 3:22pm by JWinslow

labmom Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 2:41am
post #1 of 2

did a post but no response so I am rewording it.. hopefully someone will be able to help. I have a halloween wedding and the bride wants an edgar allen poe theme.. and the wedding cake a stack of books.. I have a picture of the one she wants.. very old looking and many books to make this tall cake..

she doesn't need that many servings so I thought I would do some in dummy cakes. But are there tricks to getting things together... any help on this project would be great...

1 reply
JWinslow Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 2

I used some real books as a guide . Cover your cake with the page colored fondant first. Scribe the edges to make pages. I rolled out my book cover color, made some leather like impression and flip it over so it will be on the outside of the cake and placed cake onto the fondant. Wet the spine with water or gel. using a straight edge, cut the fondant leaving a slight overlap. Lift he fondant over the spine and on top of the cake - clean up your edges and then the fun begins....I used stamps with edible paint to give it that old world look(practice on a extra piece of fondant - you only get one shot. Don't forget to make the little spine binders on the side - not sure what they are actually called. Make sure when stacking that you have support near the corners (as close as you can depending on your design) to prevent the corners from sagging.
This being a Poe theme, if you have the time, you might want to consider making an inkwell and feather. Not hard Here's a pic of the cake I did.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2035454

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%