Smooth Buttercream

Decorating By ngandara Updated 4 Jul 2011 , 3:36pm by MeghanCullins

ngandara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngandara Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 1:48am
post #1 of 6

I always see perfectly smooth buttercream cakes and was wondering how I get that. I have managed to get the sides smooth but the top always ends up with lines : (

5 replies
luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 2:07am
post #2 of 6

Have you tried the Viva paper towel method? Look it up, I use it all the time after the butter cream has crusted. It makes a big difference...I'm still learning how to get better icon_smile.gif

sparkle25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkle25 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 2:10am
post #3 of 6

There's several different ways. Do you use a crusting buttercream? If so you can use the viva paper towel method, the roller method or the hot knife method (this one will work on non crusting buttercreams as well). Another method is the upside down method (there was a thread on here just recently about it).

(this tutorial by Edna is great)

Hope that helps.

It takes some practice (and patience) to figure out what works best for you.

sweetviolet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolet Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 2:43am
post #4 of 6

I was a firm believer in the Viva method...but recently....started using a sheetrock trowel, place in hot water, dry, then smooth. You can also use a bench scraper....way easier than the viva in my opinion but both work great!

ngandara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngandara Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 3:07am
post #5 of 6

I am using a crusting buttercream but I have not tried those methods yet. Thank you so much! I can't wait to try it : )

MeghanCullins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeghanCullins Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 6

I just tried the Melvira method the other day. It was so much faster than the paper towel method. All I had to do was roll over the icing with the paint roller. It was one of my smoothest cakes. I'm very excited about it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%