Hamburger, Fries And Softdrink

Decorating By mena2002 Updated 30 Jun 2011 , 9:55pm by pmarks0

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyones ever made a cake to look like burger, fries and a soft drink? And how they would go about doing that?

I was thinking for the burger to make chocolate cake for the patties and the toppings out of fondant. But for the bun would I cover individual cakes in brown fondant? Or what is the best way to do this?

For the fries I was going to make sugar cookies and cut them into fries shape and bake.

Now for the softdrink, I really am lost as how best to go about this.

Any and all help is appreciated icon_smile.gif

6 replies
cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 7
ramacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramacake Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 12:34am
post #3 of 7

For the fries, i use marzipan, the kind you can get at most grocery stores, it comes is a box, and it is a small log shape. I cut it in quarter inch slices, and it makes quite a few "fries". If you have an airbrush, you can airbrush the edges with a small amount of brown, and then sprinkle with sugar to look like salt. They look just like real fries. If you don't have an airbrush, you could probably brush on a little food coloring on the edges. And to do a "drink" I get a paper cup from any burger restaurant, and put cake inside and icing on the top, and stick a straw in it.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 1:21am
post #4 of 7

When I did this one, I colored the fondant for the bun brown. As you can see it wasn't very realistic. The burger patty, however, turned out very well. I made the patty out of chocolate RKT and covered it with chocolate candy clay. The condiments were buttercream and the 'veg' and cheese were fondant. For the fries I cut strips of cake, tossed them in cinnamon and sugar, and toasted them in the oven. For the top of the bun I used one eight inch layer and a layer that I baked in a pie plate for the dome. The bottom bun was a single eight inch layer.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1923472

Rather than color the fondant brown for the bun, if I was going to do it again I would do it the way I did the crust on this pizza cake and this raspberry pie cake. For these, I used white fondant and after it was on the cake I mixed Wilton brown gel with a touch of Wilton ivory gel and vodka, painted it on and blotted it with a paper towel till I got the color I felt most closely approximated cooked dough. For the 'milkshake in a mug' I baked two three by three inch cakes and stacked them. I used white fondant to represent the milkshake, then wrapped the whole in the blue fondant. The handle of the mug is fondant held on with two toothpicks, and the bubble straw actually serves as a support to keep the two cakes in place as well as adding to the authenticity. If you are going to do a paper cup of pop, I'd proceed the same way, but cut the stacked cakes at a slight angel for the sake of realism. Once you have them stacked you could do a white fondant wrap and add red stripes for a generic pop cup, then use the straw as your support.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1923472

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1924462

HTH and sorry this was so long.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 1:26am
post #5 of 7

If you do the pop cup the way I suggested you should remember to make the fondant 'cup' extend above the 'pop' cake and also to roll the edge of the cup slightly. Once it sets, the rolled rim will give it stability as well as authentic detail. If you're doing a 'cola' you could use modeling chocolate for the pop and add a few bubbles with clear piping gel.

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 6:44am
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone for their help, I'm so excited to make this cake and can't wait to get started!!

You guys have all been so helpful icon_smile.gif

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 7

Bakerella did this with cupcakes, brownies and sugar cookies.

http://www.bakerella.com/fast-food-fun/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%