Anyone Have A Milk Chocolate Wasc Recipe Here...

Baking By cocobean Updated 30 Jun 2011 , 11:07pm by playingwithsugar

cocobean Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 14

Bride wants a milk chocolate cake. I usually use a devilsfood in my chocolate wasc recipe. Anyone make a milk chocolate version and have a recipe to share? Thanks

13 replies
cocobean Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 14

...bride just wants it less chocolatey (sp). Do you think it would work to just not add the extra cocoa (in place of the flour) when when i make my usual (devils food) chocolate wasc. That would make it less chocolatey.

cocobean Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 14

Any recipes or ideas?

cocobean Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 14

Still looking...

shaekae81 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 14

One of my favorite combinations is to follow the WASC recipe but use one chocolate mix and one white.

playingwithsugar Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 14

DH makes a milk chocolate cake mix; I think Betty does, too.

Can you find them where you live? I'd try them before experimenting otherwise.

I use the Betty, but never made it with a wasc. Never felt I needed to. For 88 cents each on sale, it doesn't make sense to me to wasc a mix.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cocobean Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 10:41pm
post #7 of 14

playingwithsugar, do you just use the cake mix alone or add something to the box mix? I would be afraid that it would be too fluffy. I really like working with the versions of wasc because it is much sturdier.

luckyblueeye Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 12:19am
post #8 of 14

Cocobean, this is a little off the topic...but since you're also in Utah I have to ask. Do you find it difficult to bake a good scratch chocolate cake in our altitude? My husband's b-day is coming up on the 4th and his only wish is to eat some great chocolate cake. I made 1 scratch cake today and I'm ready to pull my hair out! All 3 layers pretty much fell apart even though I used more flour and less oil (Hershey's chocolate cake recipe). Taste was great but there's no way I can stack them. Would the chocolate wasc bring a better result? I love the regular wasc.

playingwithsugar Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 9:12am
post #9 of 14

There's a giant thread somewhere on wasc versions, here on CC. All they do is add flavors or start with the different varieties of mix. Maybe what you're looking for is in there.

As for me, I only use the milk chocolate mix by itself. With certain flavors, I'm a purist.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cocobean Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks for everyones help. Playingwithsugar, I bought the milk chocolate bc brand last night. I am going to try it out. Maybe half staight mix and the other half wasc version (somehow). Don't know if I mentioned that the bride wants fondant, so I need a sturdy cake.

I do have a hard copy of all the versions of the wasc (somewhere) but we are in the process of moving and half my stuff is at one house and half at the other. I can never find what I need! Maybe I can find it today when I go to the new place (15 minutes away). Going to try out my new oven in the basement kitchen. Hope it works like what I am used to!

shaekae81, I'm also going to try your suggestion of mixing the chocolate and the white or maybe try mixing devils food and french vanilla.

luckyblueeye, you should definately try the chocolate wasc version. Works great here.

luckyblueeye Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 8:30pm
post #11 of 14

Cocobean, I tried the wasc chocolate version with 1 white mix and 1 devil's food mix (because that's all I had in the pantry) and it turned out fantastic! Best chocolate cake I've ever made...now if I could just decorate it well icon_smile.gif Good luck with your move.

luckyblueeye Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 8:31pm
post #12 of 14

Cocobean, I tried the wasc chocolate version with 1 white mix and 1 devil's food mix (because that's all I had in the pantry) and it turned out fantastic! Best chocolate cake I've ever made...now if I could just decorate it well icon_smile.gif Good luck with your move.

cocobean Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 9:16pm
post #13 of 14

O.K. I just made my milk chocolate wasc by using 1/2 devils food and 1/2 white (Betty Crocker). The color looks like milk chocolate and I think it tastes like milk chocolate. Only because of the color and less intense chocolate flavor. Have to admit I don't like 30 minute old cupcakes. I think I will like them even better tomorrow or even after I freeze them for a day and then try them tomorrow. This will be a GOOD recipe for milk chocolate cake I believe but, I personally like dark chocolate cake and dark chocolate buttercream!

luckyblueeye, glad you liked it to.

playingwithsugar Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 11:07pm
post #14 of 14

Keep a copy of the document on your desktop or on a flashdrive, so you always have it handy.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%