Ice Cream Cake Frosting

Baking By sweetpeacakemom Updated 29 Jun 2011 , 10:49pm by creativethoughts

sweetpeacakemom Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 5:30am
post #1 of 5

I am making my husband an ice cream cake and am wondering if the frosting (equal parts of whip cream and ice cream) will bleed onto the cake if I color it. I've never done this, and don't have time for a trial run. Advice please! Also, anyone have any different recipe for the frosting?

Please and thank you!

4 replies
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 5:45am
post #2 of 5

I've always just used Cool Whip for the icing on Ice Cream Cakes. Make sure that's it's completely thawed before you add any color.

HTH
Kat

creativethoughts Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 6:23am
post #3 of 5

OH- I just made a batch of vanilla Ice Cream bc and it's amazing! but you do have to keep in in the fridge at least!

1/4 C. Butter
3/4 C. Vanilla Ice Cream
1/2 tsp. Vanilla ex.
4 C. Powdered Sugar

Let butter stand at room temp for 30 min. and Ice Cream stand at room temp for 10 min. Beat Butter at medium speed until fluffy. Beat in 1/2 C. Ice Cream and 1/2 tsp. V-ex. Beat in 4 C. Powdered Sugar. If necessary, stir in additional Ice Cream, 1 Tbls. at a time, to making frosting piping or spreading consistency.

I made 1 and 1/2 recipe to frost 24 cupcakes. Piped frosting, it was a little hard at first but then started to melt at the end. You should keep it in the fridge, or freezer until just before you serve it!

*recipe from: Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest F...(?): Cupcakes, pg #21 under Root Beer Float Cupcakes!

sweetpeacakemom Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you for the recipe!! did you color it and did it bleed through? I will definitely try this out icon_smile.gif

creativethoughts Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 5

I didnt color it but I dont think it will bleed. It seems stiff enough when cold that it will all stay together. Just keep it cold and you should be good!

I just uploaded the pic's of my Root-beer float cupcakes to my profile, if you want to take a look!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%