Fondant Butterflies Made In Advance?

Decorating By lealea2011 Updated 30 Jun 2011 , 4:16am by scp1127

lealea2011 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 4:54am
post #1 of 9

I have a My Little Pony cake to make in 2 weeks time. How far in advance can I make the fondant (with gum tex added) butterflies? If I make them a week before will they still be ok?

8 replies
scp1127 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 5:03am
post #2 of 9

They will keep as long as the fondant would keep. I put mine in airtight containers between sheets of wax paper. I put them in a cool place to store.

TexasSugar Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 9

I store fondant pieces that are dried in cardboard boxes. Go ahead and make them now. icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 9

I still have all of my Wilton class flowers stored and the are fine. I must have twenty egg cartons filled with those things. I was a little OCD on practicing. One day I might use them.

TexasSugar Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 9

I have a whole pile of flowers from when I teach and make a couple of this and a couple of that in class. I keep collecting them, because I hate to throw them out. Every now and then my students will get lucky and I'll clean out the container I carry them to class in and give them some of the flowers I have made.

lealea2011 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 9

Oh GREAT! Thanks so much, will get started this weekend then icon_biggrin.gif

Coral3 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 9

Just remember if you're using a colour that typically fades (like purples) then store them in a dark box/cupboard (NOT in an air-tight container though...you want them to be able to dry out). I frequently make decorations several weeks in advance. It ensures they're thoroughly dry by the time you use them which means they'll be a lot stronger.

lealea2011 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 10:22pm
post #8 of 9

Oh Thanks Coral3!
I made some wooden 'planks' out of fondant a few weeks ago for a Toy Story cake and stored them in an air tight container, and was wondering why they didnt completely dry out! Made perfect sense once I read your post!

scp1127 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 4:16am
post #9 of 9

I will take back the "airtight" part if you want it to dry. I use airtight (the old real Tupperware) when I am making parts that should stay pliable. On my butterfly-type decorations, I keep them pliable because I want people to eat the decorations if they want... I use a fondant that people tend to eat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%