Just Introducing Myself And After A Little Advice

Decorating By Zuicidal_Zeth Updated 30 Jun 2011 , 12:24am by lutie

Zuicidal_Zeth Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 17

Hi all, ive literally just joined the site after having a quick look through, seems the best place for me to learn all i need to know, my names Rich, live in the uk and i enjoy making cakes, id only really tried typical sponges ,chocalte cakes and fruit cakes before now, mainly using cream or chocalte as my main decoration, today i embarked on using fondant icing and normal icing for the first time, im making a ben 10 cake for my nephew, ive coloured some yellow,some green, some black (turned out grey ), but on covering the cake the edges didnt work out right so im looking for the best icing to make so i can pipe right around the side of the cake, is a 16 inch round cake, with 3 tiers, already covered in fondant icing, any help would be appreciated as it as to be finished by around 3pm tommorrow, uk times, Thanks to any who reads and to anyone who leaves a response, i would have added a photo of it but wasnt sure if i was allowed

16 replies
TexasSugar Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 17

If you have enough, you can make ropes or strips out of the fondant and use those as borders.

LisaPeps Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 17

You can add photos, you'll need to upload to an image hosting website such as flickr and then link us to that.

Do you mean pipe a border around the bottom edge? For example if the fondant creased or pleated as you were smoothing it?

saffronica Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 17

There are many, many different icing recipes that would work, but if all you're doing is piping, I'd probably go with a basic powdered sugar and butter frosting, such as this one: 1 cup soft butter (or shortening, or a combination), 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 pound powdered sugar, and some liquid (milk, water, coffee creamer, etc.). Start with 2 tablespoons liquid and add more to thin it out until you get the consistency you want.

And it's just fine to post pictures in a thread like this, though people often have trouble getting them to attach.

Good luck, and welcome!

Zuicidal_Zeth Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 17

no i mean have the whole side of the cake piped and then on the top i have the white fondant as a base then i used the dyed fondant and used a Ben 10 template and layered it to get the desired effect, well, aswell as i can do it at the moment, the ropes or strips could work well, ill take a picture and use one of them sites as soon as i can, thanks for replies icon_smile.gif

Jens88 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 17

You could make balls out of fondant and put them all the way round the bottom edge of the cake, that way you could use the colours you made to tie in the theme. Otherwise if you wanted to pipe round the outside you could use royal icing. HTH!

Jens88 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 17

Oops just seen your reply. I'll try to help once I've seen the picture.

Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 10:05pm
post #8 of 17

Hi Rich,Welcome to CC!!

Zuicidal_Zeth Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 10:36pm
post #9 of 17

the top of the cake Image
side of the cake which was going to pipe Image

you'll have to excuse the untidyness, im still learning, i only started orinally as something to do with my daughter, the balls around the bottom sounds like it could be a nice touch tho and will give it a nice finish , thank you all, feel free to give critism also

lutie Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 11:13pm
post #10 of 17

I would always put waxed paper or parchment paper strips under where you are decorating...it keeps your cake and board always clean...you just have to pull them out from the edges of the cake after you have decorated...it is imperative to always keep the area around the cake perfectly without crumbs, jam, bits and pieces of anything...or you will find them back on your cake...

Also, you should take your green and yellow pieces of fondant and make them the correct length on top of the cake...the cleaner it is, the better it appears, and the more scrumptious the cake will appear. Why did you not put the strips under the "10", instead of on top? Those are the little things that make a big difference.

Try keeping your fondant clean and clear of the medium you used for keeping it from sticking when you rolled it out...you have a great eye for the design...now, take the time to look at the details...you are on your way! Enjoy the journey!

Zuicidal_Zeth Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 11:29pm
post #11 of 17

thanks for the tips, ill definetly keep them with me, ive got my daughters to do next so, hopefully will get better, as for the strips over the 10 i guess because it was an after thought it made sense at the time, also, what is the best thing to stick icing down with, i was told jam but it just looks a mess to me, thank you again for the feed back, id love to get to a standard that ive seen a lot of on the site, just through looking around, some amazing things on here icon_biggrin.gif

gingerpup84 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 11:47pm
post #12 of 17

I usually use buttercream in a piping bag with a tiny opening (like a 1 from wilton). You can also use royal icing. If you are sticking fondant decorations on top of fondant, you can sometimes wet with a tiny bit of water (use an artist brush). Did you ice the cake with buttercream first?? It is best to at least crumb coat with buttercream before applying fondant. I ice with a layer of buttercream (thicker than a crumb coat, but thinner than you would get on a cake iced only with buttercream) before covering with fondant. Try checking out some you tube videos on covering cakes with fondant. Remember with jam you will need to keep cake pretty cold or jam will start to soften up and melt. As far as black fondant, I've been able to get very small amounts black at home, but if you need much I would probably buy it pre-tinted. I've been using the recipe below for my buttercream, but I know ingredients available in the UK are a bit different from the US. There are quite a few recipes on this site posted by folks outside of the US, so you might want to look for some of those.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2075/crusting-buttercream-icing-viva-method

Hope this helps.

tokazodo Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 12:27am
post #13 of 17

You can always wipe down the cake circle /cake board at any time with a paper towel. The last thing I do after decorating a cake, when it is complete is to take a paper towel and to wipe up any smears or smudged from the icing.

Cakechick123 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 8:01am
post #14 of 17

I think using jam is one of the reasons your cake looks "messy" Just use a small dab of water. It will stick to the fondant underneath and dry invisible.

Also dont spread jam over the cake before adding the fondant. Rather use a thin layer of buttercream. The jam tends to ooze out and it can make your fondant disolve.

HTH!!!

Zuicidal_Zeth Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 9:17am
post #15 of 17

thank you all, havent looked at the cake again yet, im a bit worried about what else could have happened, hearing about humidness and right icings to use etc lol, however i did find a cruting icing that sounds easy enough for me to use, ill have a go and see what happens, thanks for everything, the recipe is just here http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-587426-.html&sid=d711fee49136e411289fe4d34126c112 ill report backlater, cheers again. Rich

Zuicidal_Zeth Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 10:36pm
post #16 of 17

Hi again all, thanks for all your comments and help, it turned out not as bad as i thought it had, the jam had warmed up and done all sorts of damage so i scraped it off and put it right with the butter icing, my nephew was pleased with it, got my mums to do next month so will be scouring the page for info on the ideas that i have in mind, thanks to all again, ive posted it in my photos if anyone wants to see final result, wasnt sure if posting it here would count as a duplicate so heres the link . cheers , all critism welcome . Rich
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2084627

lutie Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 12:24am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuicidal_Zeth

Hi again all, thanks for all your comments and help, it turned out not as bad as i thought it had, the jam had warmed up and done all sorts of damage so i scraped it off and put it right with the butter icing, my nephew was pleased with it, got my mums to do next month so will be scouring the page for info on the ideas that i have in mind, thanks to all again, ive posted it in my photos if anyone wants to see final result, wasnt sure if posting it here would count as a duplicate so heres the link . cheers , all critism welcome . Rich
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2084627

I left you a comment on your finished cake (of course it looks like I left you four comments...sometimes the website goes a little silly)...your cake looks great!!! It took me a couple of times when I used the round tip to remember to push down the little swirls...someone told me to 'squeeze; release; and then pull up'...I still get little tips, but I wait until it dries a little and push them gently down with my little finger...I pat them until they no longer show. You can, also, take a small paint brush (used for food only LOL) and pat the buttercream down.

It looks so much better where you cut the green and yellow fondant on the logo, too. Great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%