How Do I Get My Cake To Sparkle?

Decorating By CakesbyMichele Updated 2 Jul 2011 , 3:56am by southerncross

CakesbyMichele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMichele Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 19

Hi. I need my cake to sparkle all over. I use a crusting buttercream. What should I use to get an all over sparkle? How do I get whatever I use to stick to the sides? Do I sprinkle before it crusts or after? Help! Thanks. Michele

18 replies
suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 19

If you are talking about this kind of sparkle, it is sanding sugar.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1829037

If you just want kind of a pearl finish, that is done with either airbrush pearl color or the pearl luster in the spray can.

Hope this helps!

suzylynn58 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 19

If you just want kind of a pearl finish, that is done with either airbrush pearl color or the pearl luster in the spray can.

Hope this helps!

suzylynn58 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 19

Hope this helps!

Gawain1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gawain1974 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 9:48am
post #5 of 19

If you're going after a subtle sparkly effect, I've had good look using Disco Dust on buttercream. You just lightly sprinkle it over the cake before the icing crusts.

PrivateNameHere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrivateNameHere Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 19

I've had issues with using dust on buttercream. It clumped up and made the cake look dirty. It was funky. I'd buy the spray can stuff you can get at Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

Gawain1974 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 8:11pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateNameHere

I've had issues with using dust on buttercream. It clumped up and made the cake look dirty. It was funky. I'd buy the spray can stuff you can get at Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

Yeah, I had the same problem too until the sweet lady at the cake store suggested I try Disco Dust. A lot of the edible glitter products will dissolve into the butter cream before it crusts, or it has to be applied by mixing it with vodka or clear vanilla, but the DD didn't.

hebberd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hebberd Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 19

I lightly dusted my most recent cake with pearl dust. I simply dipped my food safe paint brush in the pearl dust and then held the paint brush over the lightly crusted cake and tapped the brush so the dust would fall off. The more you do it the more light sparkle you get.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 5:31am
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawain1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateNameHere

Yeah, I had the same problem too until the sweet lady at the cake store suggested I try Disco Dust. A lot of the edible glitter products will dissolve into the butter cream before it crusts, or it has to be applied by mixing it with vodka or clear vanilla, but the DD didn't.

Problem is, disco dust is fine particle plastic craft glitter--that's why it didn't dissolve. It is not edible. It's non-toxic, but should not be consumed. It's for use on items that will be removed before eating.

The nice lady at the cake store should know better icon_confused.gif

Real edible glitter will NOT dissolve on a crusting buttercream.

HTH
Rae

Gawain1974 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 8:52pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Problem is, disco dust is fine particle plastic craft glitter--that's why it didn't dissolve. It is not edible. It's non-toxic, but should not be consumed. It's for use on items that will be removed before eating.

The nice lady at the cake store should know better icon_confused.gif

Real edible glitter will NOT dissolve on a crusting buttercream.

HTH
Rae

Yeah, the lady did explain the difference between non-toxic and edible. I've put worse things in my mouth and since I'm not a professional, I don't really care if my guests fart a little glitter. Everyone needs a little excitement in their lives. icon_wink.gif

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 9:22pm
post #11 of 19

Okay, I'm a visual thinker. I'm reading this while visioning a table full of people, 'tooting' sparkly clouds all around! icon_biggrin.gif

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 9:27pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawain1974

Yeah, the lady did explain the difference between non-toxic and edible. I've put worse things in my mouth and since I'm not a professional, I don't really care if my guests fart a little glitter. Everyone needs a little excitement in their lives. icon_wink.gif

Hahaha love it,lol.
I use the non toxic one everytime,I'll love a glittery s----t once in a while,why not.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 9:41pm
post #13 of 19

I used hot pink disco dust on these cupcakes with a crusting buttercream. Put the dust after I finished icing about 3 dozen:

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr75/Cakes_by_Paperwings/pixiedust.jpg

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 2:02am
post #14 of 19

I have to laugh at posts about minute particles of disco dust being unsafe to consume when the DHHS and Food Administration allow most of the candies we consume to be coated with food grade shellac for shine, ........ real shellac - like you have in your cellar to coat boards. I'd rather eat disco dust.

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 2:21am
post #15 of 19

You know, it's all very well to joke about crapping glitter and having excitement--how exiciting, is it really, to have a shiny cake, unless you're a daffy crow---in order to justify putting something on food that can actually harm people who DON'T know that it's not edible.

Pity the poor soul who has diverticulitis, diverticulosis, Crohn's disease, or other intestinal issue-- who innocently consumes something like this--something that can stick in the delicate lining of the small instestine and cause anything from discomfort to hospitalization. They're careful not to eat things like strawberries with small seeds, etc., but have no idea that their "exciting" cake has something on it that could send them into crisis..........

I can't do that to people.
Rae

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 2:33am
post #16 of 19

with all due respect, Blake, people with intestinal issues, in particularlly Crohn's disease are instructed by their doctor to avoid the following foods:
alcohol (mixed drinks, beer, wine)
butter, mayonnaise, margarine, oils
carbonated beverages
coffee, tea, chocolate
corn husks
dairy products (if lactose intolerant)
fatty foods (fried foods)
foods high in fiber
gas-producing foods (lentils, beans, legumes, cabbage, broccoli, onions)
nuts and seeds (peanut butter, other nut butters)
raw fruits
raw vegetables
red meat and pork
spicy foods
whole grains and bran

Somehow, I think they will be avoiding the cake entirely and thereby avoiding the DD sparkle farts.

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 3:02am
post #17 of 19

Perhaps. My ex-BIL has Crohn's and he ate a piece of his wedding cake--and was fine because it was a very small piece and didn't have anything ON it that could add to any burden he was prepared to face.

But now they need to add PLASTIC CRAFT GLITTER to the list--something I'm certain that neither they, nor their doctors EVER thought would be an issue...........

Rae

SAHCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SAHCaker Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 3:37am
post #18 of 19

Unrelated to the DD sparkle fart---Southerncross---your signature line referencing one of the posts in another forum is SO hilarious. My belly hurt. I love the judgment proof line.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 3:56am
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHCaker

Unrelated to the DD sparkle fart---Southerncross---your signature line referencing one of the posts in another forum is SO hilarious. My belly hurt. I love the judgment proof line.

Thanks, if I can cause one belly laugh a day, my job is done. And I recognize you....you did that incredibly cool Spiderman's butt cake! Very very good

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%