Making Fondant Cakes In Summer Protocol???

Decorating By Pieceofcakebyrita Updated 28 Jun 2011 , 11:57pm by tavyheather

Pieceofcakebyrita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pieceofcakebyrita Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 6

Hi I need heelllppp! What is everyone's protocol when making cakes in the summer months with the heat and humidity? Does everyone just have a really good AC? do you refrigerate them? Leave them out with the AC? Dehumidifier? HHEEELLLPPP! This is the first year I have done cakes in the summer, I usually only offer fondant cakes in the winter because of the temperature. What is the best coarse of action in terms of fondant 3d cakes???

5 replies
sweetviolet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolet Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 6

Hi! I'm only posting on your thread because I have the same exact question and would also like to find some answers. Thanks for posting!

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 6

I had the same problem, i realize that using Ganache instead of buttercream under fondant in the summer months is the way to go, just my opinion

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 6

hmm i like the ganache idea...I've been going back and forth btwn ganache and buttercream and this last time I used buttercream and it was 85 inside. You could totally see the cake under the fondant b/c the buttercream just melted apparently.

I don't have A/C so I work on them at night when the windows are open! After last summer I swore I wouldn't work with fondant again but here I am taking friends' orders! icon_wink.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 6

I use the AC and I put the cake in the fridge to get it cold before I put the fondant on. I don't put it back in the fridge with the fondant.

A dehumidifier doesn't help much because it puts out a whole lot of hot air. So you solve the humidity issue (as long as you don't mind dumping a bucket every six hours or so) but you add to the heat issue, and neither one is good for cakes.

I use all-shortening buttercream. I can't even bring a candy bar home from the grocery store without it melting on the way home, so I haven't tried ganache, because to me chocolate+ south tx summer = big huge mess icon_biggrin.gif

tavyheather, you're lucky it cools off enough where you live to open the windows at night. It's only been getting down to about 85-89 at night here.

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

tavyheather, you're lucky it cools off enough where you live to open the windows at night. It's only been getting down to about 85-89 at night here.

blech, I should consider myself lucky then I guess...it only gets down to 75 when I'm working but that's just cool enough to make it work. In the middle of the night it's maybe down to 50-60, maybe b/c we're in a valley?? where r u in TX? how hot is it during the day?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%