Making Fondant Cakes In Summer Protocol???

Decorating By Pieceofcakebyrita Updated 28 Jun 2011 , 11:57pm by tavyheather

Pieceofcakebyrita Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 6

Hi I need heelllppp! What is everyone's protocol when making cakes in the summer months with the heat and humidity? Does everyone just have a really good AC? do you refrigerate them? Leave them out with the AC? Dehumidifier? HHEEELLLPPP! This is the first year I have done cakes in the summer, I usually only offer fondant cakes in the winter because of the temperature. What is the best coarse of action in terms of fondant 3d cakes???

5 replies
sweetviolet Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 6

Hi! I'm only posting on your thread because I have the same exact question and would also like to find some answers. Thanks for posting!

diamondsmom Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 6

I had the same problem, i realize that using Ganache instead of buttercream under fondant in the summer months is the way to go, just my opinion

tavyheather Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 6

hmm i like the ganache idea...I've been going back and forth btwn ganache and buttercream and this last time I used buttercream and it was 85 inside. You could totally see the cake under the fondant b/c the buttercream just melted apparently.

I don't have A/C so I work on them at night when the windows are open! After last summer I swore I wouldn't work with fondant again but here I am taking friends' orders! icon_wink.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 6

I use the AC and I put the cake in the fridge to get it cold before I put the fondant on. I don't put it back in the fridge with the fondant.

A dehumidifier doesn't help much because it puts out a whole lot of hot air. So you solve the humidity issue (as long as you don't mind dumping a bucket every six hours or so) but you add to the heat issue, and neither one is good for cakes.

I use all-shortening buttercream. I can't even bring a candy bar home from the grocery store without it melting on the way home, so I haven't tried ganache, because to me chocolate+ south tx summer = big huge mess icon_biggrin.gif

tavyheather, you're lucky it cools off enough where you live to open the windows at night. It's only been getting down to about 85-89 at night here.

tavyheather Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

tavyheather, you're lucky it cools off enough where you live to open the windows at night. It's only been getting down to about 85-89 at night here.

blech, I should consider myself lucky then I guess...it only gets down to 75 when I'm working but that's just cool enough to make it work. In the middle of the night it's maybe down to 50-60, maybe b/c we're in a valley?? where r u in TX? how hot is it during the day?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%