Contemplating Entering My First Competition

Decorating By KJF1985 Updated 31 Jul 2011 , 7:55pm by Elcee

KJF1985 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 17

Yesterday I found out that there's a decorating competition in my town at the end of July. After looking up details, I'm seriously considering entering. It's broken down by years experience which makes me feel better. Registration is only $15 and there's demo's and such during the day. I don't live in a big town and I'm sure people will travel for this but I just can't imagine there being a ton of people in my division. It's all for fun but I also don't want to show up and have people wonder why i'm even there. I started the wilton classes at hobby lobby in October and completed all except the newest punch one so I'm quite new to this.

I think my biggest challenge will be to make sure things are finished well: lines and edges are clean, things are smooth, etc. But I know I can do it if I take my time. However, the thought of entering a "competition" is still a bit scary!! So, can anybody's who's "been there, done that" give some advice? Should I do it? Is there anything to keep in mind? Tips?

Huge thanks in advance!

16 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 17

I think it sounds like fun and it's good that it's broken down into levels of experience too.

Are you allowed to use cake dummies or does it have to be real cake? If you can use dummies, then you can really take your time working on them.

One thing you should do is try covering the cake board in fondant and finishing the edge with a ribbon...it really adds to the look of any cake, and it's so easy to do.

KJF1985 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I think it sounds like fun and it's good that it's broken down into levels of experience too.

Are you allowed to use cake dummies or does it have to be real cake? If you can use dummies, then you can really take your time working on them.

One thing you should do is try covering the cake board in fondant and finishing the edge with a ribbon...it really adds to the look of any cake, and it's so easy to do.

Yes! I was definitely thinking little details like that will help me. And yes! We can use cake dummies. I don't own any so I might consider investing in some if they aren't too much (already running out of kitchen space as it is!!). I'm thinking of entering in their "themed" category. I hope creativity is rewarded because I'm trying to think outside the box so my cake isn't just another version of all the rest....

Bluehue Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 17

Good for you - enter and enjoy.

I have noticed since my time joining CC that many in the States don't cover their boards when creating a fondant cake/dummy.
Something that is always done here - especially for the paying customer.

To ensure your ribbon goes around the board nice and smooth - i dip my entire ribbon in sugar syrup - then wipe of the excess with a clean cloth - that way you can move/slide/pry the ribbon into place very easy - and as the ribbon dries - it sticks to the fondant on the cake board..

I digress...

As TR said - if you are able to use a dummy then you can take your time. thumbs_up.gif

Perhaps use 2 or 3 colours that are *out of the box* for something different.
I just googled *vivid colours together* to give you an idea of what looks great together.
http://www.google.com.au/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1010&bih=693&q=vivid+colours+together.&gbv=2&oq=vivid+colours+together.&aq=f&aqi=&aql=undefined&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=2653l6735l0l23l23l0l17l0l1l386l1503l0.2.2.2l6

It might be your choice too - but many cover cake comp cakes in the colours of their state - home town - etc - i wouldn't - sure bet that those colours will appear on a few cakes - it can become a bit repedative - iykwim.

I look forward to seeing what you create -
Best of luck .....................and enjoy. icon_smile.gif

Bluehue.

KJF1985 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 17

Bluehue - thank you so much for the tip about the ribbon! I have yet to use it so I don't know any tricks yet!

Those colors are awesome! I'm thinking of entering the novelty theme category which is "kick up your heels". I feel like everybody will be doing gumpaste heels and want to be more creative than that. I've got a couple ideas but I'm paranoid about another competitor being on the website so I won't say them. lol

TexasSugar Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 17

KJF, I'm considering entering as well. I just can't think of any ideas yet. icon_smile.gif

For anyone else in the area.... http://www.quotaicingonthecake.com/

KJF1985 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

KJF, I'm considering entering as well. I just can't think of any ideas yet. icon_smile.gif

For anyone else in the area.... http://www.quotaicingonthecake.com/

Oh god I hope we're in separate divisions....

haha I'm sure we are. You should do it!! I'd love to see one of your cakes in person!

TexasSugar Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:18pm
post #8 of 17

Laughing. icon_smile.gif Because I'm a WMI and have been doing cakes on and off for over 10 years, I get put in the pro group. I certainly don't think of myself as that though.

Bluehue Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:22pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJF1985

Bluehue - thank you so much for the tip about the ribbon! I have yet to use it so I don't know any tricks yet!
Your welcome

Those colors are awesome! I'm thinking of entering the novelty theme category which is "kick up your heels". I feel like everybody will be doing gumpaste heels and want to be more creative than that. I've got a couple ideas but I'm paranoid about another competitor being on the website so I won't say them. lol

Kick up your heels !!! - well there you go - you can do some fantastic colour combos.

Many stick to the traditional Red Black and White - don't - i am sure the judges have seen that colour combo 1000000003 times before. icon_rolleyes.gif
Think Iris, Lime Green and Orange - absolutely stunning together.
Lime green and purple
Coral and Cornflower Blue

GO BOLD - BE SEEN thumbs_up.gificon_wink.gif

Bluehue.

Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:39pm
post #10 of 17

Definitely use cake dummies...they help take the weather and cake transport issues out of the equation. You can find them pretty cheap online...it won't let me post my favorite place to order them but the name starts with Dallas, so you could google it. They're pretty cheap that way but with the shipping it might work out better to buy them locally if you can.

Bluehue's method of applying ribbon sounds really interesting. I use tacky glue on mine, but that's because I'm applying it to the cut edges of a foamcore board.

KJF1985 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:43pm
post #11 of 17

Oh wow! You're right, they ARE super cheap!! Thanks for the referral!

Oh gosh, now i'm excited. Just have to come up with a GREAT idea!!

Elcee Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 9:48pm
post #12 of 17

KJF1985, I love entering cake decorating competitions icon_biggrin.gif. What is really invaluable is seeing your cakes next to your peers'. Until I started entering competitions, the only people who saw my cakes were people who love me icon_rolleyes.gif and who can trust their opinions? It's great to be able to see what others with the same amount of experience are doing.

I also really appreciate the judges' feedback. I take everything they give me in the way of constructive criticism and work on those things as I go forward with my cakes. My skills have improved tremendously since I entered my first competition two years ago. I've started blogging about my experieinces in competitions if you want to check it out.

Be sure to let us know how you did and post pictures after the show!

KJF1985 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 4:50pm
post #13 of 17

Thanks Elcee!! I hadn't thought about the judges comments but that will be some nice feedback!!

And, it's official! I registered today. I now have 30 days to come up with a design and execute it! Yay!!

KJF1985 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 1:26pm
post #14 of 17

Saturday is the big day!!! I've got most of my cake done and will be sure to update and let you all know how it was!

Elcee Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 11:10pm
post #15 of 17

Ooh, how exciting! Have fun and good luck!

KJF1985 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 1:19am
post #16 of 17

I'm home now and I must say, there were a lot of amazing cakes! I didn't manage to get in the top three but I know what I need to work on and what the judges are looking for. I *think* a lot of my problem was that my cake didn't have as much of a story as other cakes did. It also didn't come out quite like I'd hope (pictures are posted, see description). Soooo, lesson learned. I intentionally did a bit simpler cake thinking it'd be better to have fewer, neater (cleaner) pieces than to have a lot of mediocre things. I definitely need to work on cleaning things up (edges, not having royal icing peeking out, powdered sugar from rolling the fondant out) and Bronwen Weber recommended that I work on my fondant thinness. (I'm guessing that means it's too thin?) Anyway, the demos were great and at least I won some new modeling tools as a door prize! Thanks for the encouragement all!

Elcee Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 7:55pm
post #17 of 17

Well, now you have the first one behind you and good feedback from the judges to build upon. I like your cake icon_smile.gif, especially the shoes and the train in the back that looks like it's attached with a button. How cool that Bronwen Weber was a judge!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%