Dishwasher For In-Home Kitchen...?

Business By GarciaGM Updated 29 Jun 2011 , 3:30am by Rendee

GarciaGM Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 17

I'm looking to license my home kitchen and I am told by the health department that I can use a dishwasher that has a high temperature wash. The water must reach 180 degrees in the line and the dishes must reach 165 degrees in the machine. Unfortunately, my existing Frigidaire only goes to 140. Does anyone have any recommendations for a dishwasher that would meet these qualifications? I saw an old thread from 2009 that talked about Bosch dishwashers, but nothing more recent. Thank you all!!

16 replies
leah_s Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 17

Any commercial dish machine will meet that specification. They generally also require an external thermometer. Expect to spend $3-4K.

Or put in a 3 compartment sink, which is what I did.

GarciaGM Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 17

Thanks so much for responding Leah. I'm considering all options, including the three-compartment sink. Is your licensed kitchen the same kitchen you use for your personal cooking? I would be modifying my existing home kitchen to meet the health department's requirements, and I have wondered how people feel about having three-compartment sinks there. I mean, let's face it, most kitchen sinks can't even handle a cookie sheet very well. Do you ever feel like the three-compartment sink is overkill or that it just aggravates you?

Too, I've got to find a place to install my handsink, so I was hoping I could just replace my existing dishwasher to protect what counter space I have. So far I've just been looking at the user manuals for the dishwasher models I'm finding to see how hot their hi-temp washes are.

Does this NSF certification really mean anything?

Norasmom Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 17

It could be different for your state, but the FDA requirement is 150 degrees. I have a REALLY old dishwasher that heats up to the correct temperature. I am required to use dishwasher test strips, which turn orange when the correct temperature has been reached. I also have a one bin sink.

GarciaGM Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 17

Norasmom, could you please tell me what model your dishwasher is?

Also, I looked up the NSF certification. It seems that they have a standard of 150 for residential dishwashers and 180 for commercial dishwashers. I guess my county relies on the commercial standards.

leah_s Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 17

Yes, NSF is critical - the industry standard.

I love my three compartment sink. I did have it custom made to fit my space. I also have a pre-wash sprayer. My hand sink is a bar sink from Home Depot installed over by the coffee pots. Handy.

Although my kitchen is clearly residential in look, it's also able to qualify as a commercial kitchen.

afterdinnerthoughts Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 17

leah_s, can you share with us about your custom made 3 compartment sink. Do you have any pics of your kitchen? Was it difficult to meet the terms of a in home kitchen?

leah_s Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:18pm
post #8 of 17

I do not have pictures. A local restaurant supply house made the sink, because it needed to fit into an angle that another sink had been removed from, so the hole was already cut in the countertop. (Not easy.) Otherwise I simply would have purchased a 3 compartment drop in sink, which would have been easier and cheaper. Check www.BigTray.com for pricing and pictures. If you have a restaurant supplier in your city they have these.

I also had to put in a hand sink (bar sink) which I wanted anyway. Covered transhcans, and a self closing hinge on the powder room door, plus thermometers. And a mop sink which we already had.

In some ways KY is easy, and in some ways (too complex to discuss online) it is extremely tricky. And I believe the laws changed since I got my license.

GarciaGM Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:26pm
post #9 of 17

Yes, TN (or at least my county) seems to be relatively easy too, it's just a matter of fitting the health department's puzzle-piece requirements into my kitchen space!! icon_lol.gif

Would you mind telling me the measurements of your sink? Thanks again!!

leah_s Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 6:40pm
post #10 of 17

each of the sinks is 16 x 12. then there's a deck around it.

GarciaGM Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 10:05pm
post #11 of 17

Leah, that doesn't sound too different from my two-compartment sink. My basins are 16" front-to-back and 14" wide by about 7" deep. How deep are your basins? And did the fabricators have to get the sink NSF approved before you could get your license, or did the inspector only care that it was stainless steel and adequately sized? Thank you so much - this is very helpful!!

SammieB Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 10:48pm
post #12 of 17

I sold residential appliances (from builder grade to the crazy high end stuff) for 7 years, and to my knowledge the highest temp as of 2 years ago was 155 on a final rinse, and that was by the highest end Kitchenaid option. Bosch had something in the works to go to 170 I believe, but residential just doesn't get that high. Unfortunately I didn't sell any commercial appliances, but I have a feeling that you're definitely going to have to go that way. Usually that means different electrical specs too, not your standard line in that you have now. Good luck!

GarciaGM Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 11:43pm
post #13 of 17

...AND you're in Nashville!!! Thanks for that information SammieB, I thought there might be a chance I would need some additional wiring or plumbing, but it sounds like a probability more than a possibility. We'll see where it goes. Thank you again!

SammieB Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 12:11am
post #14 of 17

Ha! I didn't even notice your location listed. Yes! I'm actually in Murfreesboro, but it's not often I see people on here from this area. What county are you in? I've heard so many different things about home business requirements in this area. It's a bit absurd.

GarciaGM Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 2:46am
post #15 of 17

Small world!! I'm in Murfreesboro too, and you are the second person on CC I've met in Murfreesboro!! I'll have to add you to my buddy list!

SammieB Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 3:01am
post #16 of 17

Sure thing!

Rendee Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 3:30am
post #17 of 17

Hey Sammie and Garcia, I'm in Chapel Hill. So cool to find some locals on here!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%